transmisson

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
sam cooper
Model Year: 1930

transmisson

Post by sam cooper »

My 1929 AA truck which is on a 30 frame has a side to side crack in transmisson housing and I have 600 weight oil all over my garage floor. I realize the oil is my problem but would like an expert recommandation on whether I would be better off to have the crack welded or replace the 4 speed transmisson with a 3 speed from a 1928 chassis I have but I do not know if the 3 speed will fit. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you, Sam Cooper
REM

Re: transmisson

Post by REM »

Find another 4 sp trans or case. They are plentiful amd cheap. Post where you are located and put something in the classifieds. I'll bet there is someone close that has one.

Richard
s147881
Body Type: stake bed 82A

Post by s147881 »

I have had two transmissions that had cracks as you describe. Besides looking for just a case, you may need to look for some shafts and gears. My transmissions cracked due to getting water inside and freezing. This water caused some additional damage to my shafts and gears.
steve s.
Body Type: BB204A
Model Year: 1932

Post by steve s. »

Sam,
I would agree with Richard, try to find another case. But I did weld ( actually brazed ) an AA transmission case once, and it worked out just fine. The truck was only used around the farm, and was just a toy not a show truck. I pre and post heated the case on a wood stove, and the only difficulty I had was an ever so slight misalignment of the front and rear countershaft holes, which was not really a problem, and if I were to weld one again I would do it with the shaft in place. The crack was on the front end and went 3/4 of the way around the case.
After welding I coated the inside of the case along the crack with non hardening Permatex to eliminate the chance of leaks. It took a lot of time to make the repair but it can be done. Good luck . Steve