Carburator Repair

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Robert Gray
Model Year: 1930

Carburator Repair

Post by Robert Gray »

Any hints on getting a venturi out that is broken so that half is stuck in the upper and half in the lower parts of the casting?
E.Moore

Re: Carburator Repair

Post by E.Moore »

You'll have to remove the butterfly from the upper section first, then insert a washer or perhaps two washers stacked together, that will not go through the ventury and place a piece of pipe or a socket that is large enough to allow the broken ventury to travel into, then with a piece of all thread rod, put two nuts on the ventury end and lock them together. Use the other end of the all thread rod with a nut as the puller. Do the same with the bottom half. Use some liquid wrench or some other penetrant before pulling.
AA157'31
Body Type: 500A
Model Year: 1929

Post by AA157'31 »

Hello,

The method i used about two weeks ago was this. carefully clamp the upper or lower carb housing in a vise, then, using a sharp punch, tap the point into the center metal of the broken venturi, aiming the punch angle towards the center of the venturi, trying to catch most of the meat of the rim of the venturi, while not being close enough to the carb housing to mar it. each time you hit the punch, you should chip out a piece of the venturi, until it is all chipped out. it may sound hackie, but it worked for me. :lol:
username is my project...
'29 Tudor is 2nd project...
sunny is my nickname.
Robert Gray

Post by Robert Gray »

Thanks gents!!! used both your methods with success!! now if i could just get the frozen brass jets free!!!!
AA157'31
Body Type: 500A
Model Year: 1929

Post by AA157'31 »

I use "kroil", kroizoil", hasn't failed yet, though on some pieces, I had too wait a few hours, this stuff is at the auto parts store, primary color of can is a fire redish orange with white letters for "Kroil", and black for lettering shadow and description type. now, spray the jet with a solid squirt, but no need to overdue it, if the jet has a screw head, use a metal handled screwdriver or a metal chisel flattened like a screwdriver, put either of them to the head of the screw, and give it a sharp solid tap, the shock will start the kroil moving down the jet threads, take a screwdriver which fit the screw solidly, and lean down your chest weight and screw out the jet, if the jet is a nut type, same technique, with appropriate carburetor wrench.
sunny
username is my project...
'29 Tudor is 2nd project...
sunny is my nickname.
AATRUCKMAN

Post by AATRUCKMAN »

HI, I USUALLY SOAK/ SUBMERGE THE ENTIRE UNIT FOR A COUPLE DAYS INTO A PENETRATING LIQUID (like pb blaster) THEN WHEN TRYING TO REMOVE THEM, TRY TO SLIGHTLY TIGHTEN THEM FIRST THEN TRY TO LOOSEN THEM. IF YOU HAVE SERIOUS RUST TO THE UNIT, YOU MAY HAVE TO DRILL OUT THE OLD AND RE-TAP IT. I'VE REBUILT MANY OF THESE AND THIS IS WHAT I HAVE FOUND TO WORK BEST.

HAVE A BLESSED DAY: GARRY AKA: AATRUCKMAN
Brady
Body Type: None

Post by Brady »

If you are dooing any carb work, then you'll really appreciate this site.
search for: > Model-A.org<
be sure to get the carb tap from Bratton's if you're going to do any work on the jet threads. It's a French metric, and is the correct tap to use. You will want to build a complete carb work kit, and the site will show you a lot of home-made tools. I have 26 Zenith carbs, and many more pieces for assemblies. It's great fun, so study hard before you ruin a good carb, and enjoy the work. FB