AA Disc Wheels to AA Wire Wheels

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
bgj1956
Model Year: 1930

AA Disc Wheels to AA Wire Wheels

Post by bgj1956 »

I want to install 4 - 20 wire wheels on my 1928 AA dump truck, I just had them powder coated black and have not received them back yet, I think now I might have a problem, the truck has a 29,30 or 31 rear end, not worm gear drive and I presently have disc wheels on now, how do I correct this so I can install the wire single wheels, any help would be appreciated, Bruce in OHIO 740-886-6956
Mike in Maine
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1931

Re: AA Disc Wheels to AA Wire Wheels

Post by Mike in Maine »

Bruce, I cannot officially help with your question. I am sure one of the members will give you that information. I do have a question for you though. First of all-"Nice looking Truck". I am working on a '31 Ford dump truck. From what I can see of your dump it looks very similar to what I have. I have not been able to I.D. it however. Mine is a hand crank that cranks from the right side. Do you have any history on the dump you have. Would you be able to supply me with more pictures of the dump assy. Tailgate, underneath, mount setup etc. You can e-mail them to me at my address
mbtowne@roadrunner.com . Thanks Mike in Maine
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Bruce,
It is likely that you have an early 1930 AA (not a 1928 AA). The front end on your truck is for a '30/'31. The brake drums are the same size as the rear brake drums. This style of front end has a wider front spring than the '28/'29 AA's and requires a '30/'31 front cross member.

The #4 cross member has a flat TOP for the '30/'31 AA's. The #4 cross member has an arched TOP for the '28/'29 AA's. So, the first thing to check is the top side of the #4 cross member. If it is flat on top, then the frame is a '30/'31. If it is arched on top (see attached picture), the frame is a '28/'29 and someone has done a conversion by installing a '30/'31 front cross member, '30/'31 front end, and '30/'31 rear end. I have seen other AA's with this conversion.

If you actually have a '28/'29 frame, then you need to reverse the above mentioned conversion by changing back to a '28/'29 front cross member, '28/'29 front end, and '28/'29 worm drive rear axle.

If you actually have a '30/'31 frame, then you will not be able to install a '28/'29 worm drive rear axle without also changing the #4 cross member.

If I were to do this, I would find a good '28/'29 chassis, restore it, and then transfer the cab, dump body, and sheet metal onto the new chassis.
Attachments
x28 Cowl & Chassis 51435.jpg
x28 Cowl & Chassis 51435.jpg (59.45 KiB) Viewed 8395 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

It is an early 1930. Which is kind of misleading as they were produced till June of 1930. The late 1930's are far more rare. The 1928 Wires won't fit it.
It is hard to tell from the photo. Do you have a screw on or twist lock gas cap?
Deuce headlamp lens??
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Note that I have a May 1930 (A3310631) 79-A panel delivery which has the threaded gas cap as well as a threaded radiator cap. My information is that the gas cap was sometimes the twist style but not the radiator cap on the 1930 commercial (with '29 style cabs). Given the month of my 79-A, I am guessing that the twisted gas cap was dependent on the assembly plant more than the month.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

My May 1930 has a twist loc cap.
bgj1956

Post by bgj1956 »

I emailed Neil direct for more clearification on my truck, will let you know what we come up with, thanks for all your help and advice, keep it coming. Bruce In Ohio ( will join AA Fords Monday )
bgj1956

Post by bgj1956 »

I now understand the #4 member arch ( unrestored truck is correct ) going now at 11:22 pm to look at restored dump ( can't wait until tomorrow ) will be right back. Bruce in Ohio Thanks Neil and others
bgj1956

Post by bgj1956 »

OK, Neil and everyone else, I just when to garage 11:42 EST to look at Red dump truck ( I'm calling 28 dump ) looked under frame and it is straight #4 crossmember, now what, real bummer, I quess I will go and get the old truck ( call it Iowa truck ) and clean it up, I really don't want to move the ( 28 dump ) to Iowa frame, lot of work. Tell me what is wrong with the front end of ( 28 dump ) is it not 28/29 cab, is the hood and radiator shell wrong for 28? I know its supposed to be black, thanks Bruce in Ohio
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

Your truck obviously is an Early 1930 model. The Early 1930's used all of the same type of sheetmetal as used in 1928/1929 but had the newer frame, rear end and four speed transmission and 14" brakes. Your truck also shows the 1930 type wheels and the mirror mounted mid way on the door post as the Early '30's had it. It also appears to have the 1930/'31 type steering wheel in it. All this is correct. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this wounderful old truck. The horn, headlights and front bumper have been changed. That stuff is easy to swap out for the correct originals.
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Yep, the easiest fix for "your '28" truck is to call it a 1930! Given that it has the flat #4 cross member, then the front and rear ends (plus wheels) are correct for 1930. The cab mirror location is correct for late '28 through mid '30. The cab, hood, fender, and aprons are correct for late '28 through mid '30. The boards are correct for early '29 - mid '30. The radiator shell is the '28 - mid '30 style. But, I can not tell if is for '28 to Jan '29 or '29 - mid '30 style. The front bumper is correct for 1930 (up to about September). The horn and head lights are not A.

Once you start calling your truck a 1930, then you will have people tellilng you that you have a '29! So, you just can not win! You can just tell them it is a special and not worry about it.
Regards, Neil Wilson
bgj1956

Post by bgj1956 »

Ok, need to start all over, clean slate, the Red Ford AA dump truck (formally 28 dump ) needs correct horn and headlights ( could I get info on light buckets so I can locate them ) photo would help. Next is the horn the same as Model A car? Photo of front of Red Ford AA dump truck ( what about grill shell )

NOW, the Johnny Cash Truck with arch #4 member ( Iowa, I think this is correct ) where to start, I want to have a truck with the Wire Wheels, should I take apart and start with installing worm gear and go from there? Need everyones help if this is your recommendation or does anyone have a better truck I can trade for and install my wheels on ( 28 ) have sereral frames, parts, motors dump beds, wheels etc. Need assistance, again thanks Bruce
Neil Wilson

Early 1930 AA

Post by Neil Wilson »

For an early '30 AA it would most likely have had '30/'31 commercial head lights off the assembly line (see picture). These are the same as for the '30/'31 A passenger car except the buckets are plain steel and were painted black (A passenger car buckets are stainless steel). The rims are stainless steel. I have some steel buckets to sell and you can e-mail me for pictures. But, they are not very good!

The horn is the same as the A.

The radiator shell is the same as the A (steel like yours). The commercial shell was painted rather than plated. For '29-mid '30 the holes for the headlight conduit is larger than the hole for the horn conduit. You will want the larger holes and larger conduit for the three wires to the headlights.

For your steel spoke wheels. If your want something for judging, then there is a lot of details needed. Otherwise, any 28/29 AA can have the spoke wheels and you can use your Johnny Cash Truck. The steel spoke wheels were used through January 1929.

I would still like to see picture of the front axle so I can give you my ideas on what you have. Also need pictures of your wheels showing the center hub (side view) to know if you have early or late spoke wheels. Yes, you will need a worm drive rear axle, a three speed transmission, 28/29 coupling shaft and probably other goodies.
Attachments
#1 - 3 parts bucket.jpg
#1 - 3 parts bucket.jpg (53.45 KiB) Viewed 8284 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
bgj1956

Post by bgj1956 »

Neil, wife is going to send money for membership and Gary in WA is also going to send money for Membership, told wife to just send in and have you fill out form on truck as you knew more about truck now than I did. need a copy of form when you're done. Working on a 1930 AA truck that I just removed dump bed from ( bed did not have hoist ) They just had bolted done to frame with hangers, came off quick. Going to move every thing to a 157" frame and install the tanker body that was on here a couple of weeks ago, picked it up from David last Friday. Need to weld in new bottoms in tanks as they are rusted out, new wood frame also needs constructed. Need input and info from everyone so I can pickup hoses, cans that would make a nice truck if I had photos and info so I would know what I'm looking for, thanks Bruce
REM

Post by REM »

bgj
Is that a late 31 cab with steel top or has the top been filled in with a tin insert?

Nice looking truck and quite a collection you have there.

Richard