Alternator or Generator?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Gerald

Alternator or Generator?

Post by Gerald »

I have almost finished restoring my 1929 AA. The only remaining obstacle is the generator which is not charging. I know I can rebuild it and it will likely work fine but I am considering switching to a 6 volt alternator instead. Since I am a total novice at this, would this be a good switch or should I go with a 12v alternator and switch everything over? Personally I would like to just stay with 6v stuff and just switch to an alternator if it would give decent service. Also, I notice from Mikes A-Fordable Parts that he offers a 6v alternator for $110 but when I look at Snyders, the get twice that much for theirs! Am I missing something here? Any advices as to what I should do and which alternator (Mike's or Snyders) fits and works best would certainly be appreciated.
Thanks for the help.

Gerald
Bud Valerius

alternator

Post by Bud Valerius »

The cheeper alternator would be a 12volt conversion. The true 6 volt alternator would most likely be one manufactured by Randy Rundel of Fifth Avenue Auto Parts , Clay Center Kansas these have been used in the Great American Auto Race for years .They are new and put out about 65 amps where the 12 volt conversion will only put out one half that. I have used one for ten years .and have sold them also. You should call Randy and talk to him . He put years of research into his product before he started manufacturing them. His number is 1-785-632-3450. Tell him I told you to call Bud Valerius (economyelectric@hotmail.com)
Gerald

Generator or Alternator

Post by Gerald »

Thanks Bud. I had already ordered a 6 volt alternator from Mikes when your message came up. The alternator has arrived and has been installed. It took me about 30 minutes to make the swap and it works great! I am very pleased. I get a good solid 9+ volt charge rate at fast idle and about 7.5 volts at regular idle. I appreciate the advice.

Gerald