Bud Rims

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
BigAl
Model Year: 1930

Bud Rims

Post by BigAl »

Is there a safe and easy way to remove the ring and rubber from the AA bud rims. I just picked up a few to restore my 30AA and want to sand blast the rims before new rubber is put on.
Thanks, Alan.....
Mark in Fairbanks Alaska

Cut em off...

Post by Mark in Fairbanks Alaska »

I guess just cut them off? Best I can think of. I have to do the same myself to my fleet of AAs.

Post by Guest »

BigAl, the following appeared on a thread earlier this year. Use search function and the word "wheels" as criteria.

"It appears that it is simply a matter of deflating the old tire, using a flat bar to insert into the lock ring notch to pry one end lose and then work around the rim to remove the ring....then slide the tire off. I imagine it is much harder than my description and was wondering if someone could give me some guidance or point me to a website that can? I know that newer rims with lock rings can be dangerous to inflate and just don't want to make a mistake that might damage the rim...or me!"

One of the answers is as follows:

" Take care when removing the split ring, try not to gall or damage it when prying it out. You will need two "spoons" to remove the ring, probably the quickest and safest way to have your tires replaced is to take both the new tires and old tire/rims to the local Les Schwab or similar and let the pro's do it. "