Tranny gear shift rod

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Franklin
Model Year: 1930

Tranny gear shift rod

Post by Franklin »

My 30 stake truck has a small rod on the driver side of the transmition gear shift rod that folows the gear shift rod down into the top of the transmition. At the top of this rod is a small flat lever to pull on and work the rod. What is this rod for? What does it do? Also, are all disk wheels the same? Can I mount a second set of wheels on the rear by just installing the longer studs? I have a long way to go and a lot of questions, all in time! Franklin-Munger, Michigan
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Re: Tranny gear shift rod

Post by Chris Haynes »

The lever and rod is your reverse lock out. 1930's came with dual wheels. You must use 1930-1933 type rims, and lug bolts. The studs are all the same legnth.
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Thanks for the information. Transmition lock out, how does it work? When do you use it? I mean, what exactly does it do? About the wheels, do you invert the outside set on the rear wheels so that they are bowed inward upon instalation? Are the lugnuts on the left side of my 30 left hand threads? Sorry for all the stupid questions, I'm jus now getting started on a complete restoration. Thanks again,
Franklin
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

You need the inner and outer lug nuts. Both are available from Snyder's.
http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/692
http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/693

Unless something is broken you should have to pull up the lever on your shifter to shift into reverse.
bgj1956

Post by bgj1956 »

Frank, talked to David and he told me you are getting two wheels, keep in touch, Bruce in Ohio
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

I just e-mailed David all the information, hope to hear back from him this week. I also need a seat, mine is toast! Anyone have one floating around that they might want to get rid of?
Frank.
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

Franklin wrote:I just e-mailed David all the information, hope to hear back from him this week. I also need a seat, mine is toast! Anyone have one floating around that they might want to get rid of?
Frank.
Lebarron Bonney has them. Bare or upholstered. They also make custom truck seat springs that sit you either two inches higher or lower depending on your needs.
http://www.lebaronbonney.com/osc/catalo ... 21_246_254
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

Franklin wrote:Thanks for the information. Transmition lock out, how does it work? When do you use it? I mean, what exactly does it do? About the wheels, do you invert the outside set on the rear wheels so that they are bowed inward upon instalation? Are the lugnuts on the left side of my 30 left hand threads? Sorry for all the stupid questions, I'm jus now getting started on a complete restoration. Thanks again,
Franklin
I have the same question about the wheels. The set I have on my 31 AA has a different offset on 2 of the rear wheels. They are disc style. Could there be different wheels on the front than the rear?

I do know for a fact that the lugs on the rear left are reverse threads (righty losey, lefty tighty!).
Dave
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

I have the same question about the wheels. The set I have on my 31 AA has a different offset on 2 of the rear wheels. They are disc style. Could there be different wheels on the front than the rear?

Front and rear wheels are the same. On the rear you have two in each side. There is a two piece lug nut for this. Put the first wheel on, install the nut and put the secone whell on and install the second nut. Brattons, Snyder's ETC. carry the lug nuts.
RLaurin

Post by RLaurin »

What would be the purpose of adding two inches to the seat springs? Just curiosity on my part. Seems like it would put your head to close to the trucks roof. Does anyone have any experience using these higher seats?