Install wheel ?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
John - NNY
Model Year: 1930

Install wheel ?

Post by John - NNY »

How do you install the rim locking piece without dammaging or chiping the paint on the rim abd the finish on the rim locking ring? Any pointers on installing the tube and tire? It is not an issue for me yet because mine are still quite rusty.

John
NNY
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Re: Install wheel ?

Post by Stakebed »

well ive heard and been told to have a shop install them (one that installs large truck tires) as these are whats referred to as "split rims" they are very dangerous when filling initially because that lock ring can come off (it is the outer part of the rim the tire bead sits on/pushes up against) and the tire and inner tube can explode, injuring possibly killing anyone near it. the way the shops do this is in a big cage so if it does explode it all stays in the cage...

to prevent chipping that i cannot answer, make sure the paint adheres well i guess...
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

You might try using some duck tape on the wheel where the flange if being installed. And protect the cadmium plated flange as well.

The grove in the wheel, for accepting the flange, must be clear of all rust build up as well as the edge of the flange which fits into the grove. Also, the wheel rim surface must be smooth so that the tire is free to move out against both flanges when air is applied.

Once the flange is installed, I add air pressure (maybe 10 lbs). with the flange facing down and out in the yard (not on a hard surface). I then turn the wheel over and use a oak block and hammer to seat the flange into the grove as needed. I repeat the process by adding 20 lbs. of pressure and again at 30 and 40 lbs. of pressure. Each time I add air pressure, I turn the wheel over so the flange is facing the ground. It takes time, but it works for me. Do not reach under the tire and end up with your hand or arm between the ground and the flange! Always work from the back side so if the flange does come off it will be driven into the ground.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: BB204A
Model Year: 1932

Post by steve s. »

With all due respect Neil, that tire can do a lot of damage regardless of the location of the ring, up or down. If the ring should come loose with your method it could easily force the tire up in your direction. Of course the proper way to inflate a split rim is in a tire cage with a remote control inflator, but other methods will work. A chain wrapped through the hand holes and secured is a decent method, or the use of angle irons on each side of the tire connected with long bolts is another .The objective is to make sure that if the lock ring seperates from the wheel it is not free to fly . Regardless of the method the main thing is to always err on the side of safety,as we all know. My trucks are not for show so I don't mind touching up paint after assembly. Steve
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Yes, the safest way to get the tires mounted is to get someone else to do the job. If it is being done at home, then I like the idea of a remote method of inflating the tire. I will have to get some parts which will allow this to be done.

I would recommend inflating the tire in stages. I have found that most flanges are slightly sprung resulting in the split not being tight together (as original when new). So, the flanges need some help seating them into the wheel grove properly. By starting with only 10 lbs. pressure, the tire will hold the flange in place while tapping it into the grove with a wood block.

If the flange split is sprung too far open (like more than 1/2"). Then I would recommend resolving that problem first. I have used pipe clamps to recompress a sprung flange. If the flange can not be pulled back together, then a different flange may be needed.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

an idea for remote inflation is find something that clips/clamps on the inner tube nozzle (possible old bike pump nozzle?) then run an old airhose to a 1/4" 90* turn water shutoff valve, then the rest to the air compressor. then u have a hand operated valve that can be full on or full off. could get fancy with a pressure guage mounted after the valve so you know how much PSI from a distance.