AA serial number on frame where to look ?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Jeff F
Model Year: 1930

AA serial number on frame where to look ?

Post by Jeff F »

Hi i am new to the AA's i just bought a 1931 rolling chassis and i am having problems finding the serial number on the frame could someone point me in the right direction. I am also looking for a cab for the same prefered in NewEngland reasonable. Also the rear springs have me a bit confused ther like the newer saddle type not the canter lervered type that i see on most of the AA any info would be of grate help.
Thanks
JEFF
Eastford CT
REM

Re: AA serial number on frame where to look ?

Post by REM »

It should be stamped on top of the left frame rail just to the rear of the rear motor mount.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Here is a picture of the original engine number stamping on the frame. Post a picture of what you have for rear springs and maybe someone can help.
Attachments
Engine Number on Frame.jpg
Engine Number on Frame.jpg (50.17 KiB) Viewed 3905 times
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Jeff F »

Thanks guys ill get some pictures monday when i pick it up.I am excited to get started on it the last A i had was 25 years ago and it was a 4dr sedan. I have always wanted a truck i was hoping to fine an Express but with no luck so i fugured this frame was avalable and was in fairly good shape and not pitted so ill start with this and build up.
JEFF
Jeff F

Post by Jeff F »

Hi again after looking the running gear over a little better i am thinking i have a BB and not an AA.
The clutch and brake pedels are round and not mounted to the trans.Next question how hard is it to find parts for the BB and will some of the AA parts fit the BB like front fenders running boards. What are the chances of finding a cab for the BB verses the AA.
thanks
JEFF
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

Jeff F wrote:Hi again after looking the running gear over a little better i am thinking i have a BB and not an AA.
What are the chances of finding a cab for the BB verses the AA.
thanks
JEFF
Well Jeff,
Now you need to find out what year BB you have. The serial number will tell you. In looking at the 1932-1933 cabs they look identical. But they have differences. The 1932 firewall is bolted in while the '33/'34 is spot welded. other differences but that is the easiest to spot.
Perhaps you can find more informatiojn at http://www.fordbarn.com
Last edited by Chris Haynes on July 3rd, 2008, 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff F

Post by Jeff F »

Its a BB the serial # is BB 5160548 and the engine # is A1018477 and it looks like an A engine has the 4 bolt water pump and no fuel pump Any ideas ?
JEFF
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

Jeff F wrote:Its a BB the serial # is BB 5160548 and the engine # is A1018477 and it looks like an A engine has the 4 bolt water pump and no fuel pump Any ideas ?
JEFF
An "A" engine will bolt into a "B" and was often done as a replacement. The frame number will tell you exactly what it is. The "B" number was stamped on the transmission bellhousing. You need to go to http://www.fordbarn.com and ask those guys there about it.