1929 Express info

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Roy Williams
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1929

1929 Express info

Post by Roy Williams »

Hello All, I just purchased this truck from an estate with no paperwork and need to start with the registration. The builder of the truck passed away last year and took the information with him. I think it was restored about 10 to 15 years ago and seems to be pretty complete except for upholstry, fabric on the top of the cab and visor. The executor thought it was a 1931 AA but I think it might be a 1929. If I understand correctly the numbers are on the drivers side frame rail under the cab. I was told I should take it to the Califrornia Highway Patrol and they will attach a tag and stamp the frame with a new number. At that point it seem the truck would be concidered a special construction and according to the estate the truck started out as it is today and not pieced together. Is the CHP tag a bad Idea???? I guess there's no way to determine the year with out that number but hate to remove the cab to get to it. Any thoughts at all about the year of the truck, registration or precautions of starting this thing for the first time would be appriciated. It has a Warford transmission and I'm hoping for the high rear end ratio. Is there a must have book on the mechanical for this truck? Membership form to follow and I will need all The past newsletters for sure. Thanks.

Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: 1929 Express info

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hello Roy,
Based on the 1929, six vent hole wheels, your truck is a 1929. The 1928 (through Jan. 1929) had steel spoke wheels. The '30/'31 wheels are five vent holes. The 1929 wheels will not fit properly onto a '30/'31. The '28/'29's have a worm drive rear axle. The 82-A closed cab was used through about May 1930. The 89-A express body was used through December 1930. So, it is not a '31 AA.

The original engine number was stamped on the frame when the engine was installed into the chassis. It would have an AA prefix of the engine is original.

My preference is to get a title for an original model A/AA. You can e-mail me for some information which I have used to get two AA titles for my trucks. You can check out the process with the California DMV.

Put the Warford in the straight through gear (i.e. not high or low). Put the transmission in high (this will be a 1:1 ratio). Jack up one rear wheel. Turn the engine until the rear wheel makes one revolution. Double the number of engine turns to get the axle ration (2-1/2+ turns is the 5.14:1 ratio; 3-1/2+ is the 7.25:1 ratio).

Post a couple of more pictures of the express body (the inside side and tail gate). This can help determine if the body is AA or TT. There is no spare wheel carrier and the center pocket looks like it extends below the rear fender. These are TT express body features!
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

its got a 28/29 cab on it and like he said the 29 rims. Also has 28/29 headlights and hood, but those can be interchainged. it also looks like hes got the car front axle, not the later beefier one. judging by those features im sure its pretty safe to say its a 29...

paperwork i cant help ya there as mine has the title with it...

the more pics the better, that and we all like to look at other peoples trucks :mrgreen:
Roy Williams
Body Type: Express

Post by Roy Williams »

Thanks to you both for helping ID This beast. What's the difference in the TT and AA other than appearance? Is one earlier or are they just different styles that were available? Here's some more Pic's and thanks.

Neil, I will drop you a line about the registration soon. the instructions for finding the gear ratio was great and of course I have more questions. With the warford in mid range and the truck in fourth thats 1:1 to the transmission. for every revolution of the crankshaft one revolution through the tranmission to the driveshaft. Do you need to double the engine rpm because the number of teeth on the drive gear vs. the ring. Does the number of teeth on the ring tell you the ratio. Thanks,

IMG]http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/nn42 ... 1023-1.jpg[/IMG]
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

well has the worm drive, another 28/29 triat

i dont know much about the boxes...
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

Stakebed wrote:well has the worm drive, another 28/29 triat

i dont know much about the boxes...

From looking at the inside I see wheel well clearance. I don't believe that the TT's had that.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Yes, the small wheel wells identifies it as an 89-A express! A picture of the outside above the rear fender would identify an early '28 or later 89-A express. The TT express has no wheel wells and were not designed to rest on the tapered AA frame.

The skid strips must be replacements. The originals end in front of the rear floor scuff plate. There was no rear bumper originally and the spare was mounted behind the right door on the running board. Finding an original side wheel carrier will be hard. In the mean time, the set up there is great.
Attachments
x2184793867.jpg
x2184793867.jpg (42.89 KiB) Viewed 5265 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

Neil Wilson wrote: Finding an original side wheel carrier will be hard. In the mean time, the set up there is great.
I am putting one on each side of mine. :lol: