I'll get the ball rolling. AA bearings

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Mike Taylor
Model Year: 1930

I'll get the ball rolling. AA bearings

Post by Mike Taylor »

AA fans,

I have recently gone through the process of finding some bearings for the rear wheel of my '28 truck, and found out that it is not as easy as when I ordered parts for my Model A cars. I will share what I have learned about sources, but I would like to know what other folks have found about where to get the early roller bearings for these special old trucks. My plans are to rebuild the worm drive rear end and dual high trans. this year, but I'm not going to start until I can capture the bearings I think I will need. Would appreciate any tips about NOS bearings.

Regards, Mike Taylor in south Louisiana
Early '28 AA
mikeg
Site Admin
Body Type: 150B

Re: I'll get the ball rolling. AA bearings

Post by mikeg »

Mike Taylor wrote:AA fans,

I have recently gone through the process of finding some bearings for the rear wheel of my '28 truck, and found out that it is not as easy as when I ordered parts for my Model A cars. I will share what I have learned about sources, but I would like to know what other folks have found about where to get the early roller bearings for these special old trucks. My plans are to rebuild the worm drive rear end and dual high trans. this year, but I'm not going to start until I can capture the bearings I think I will need. Would appreciate any tips about NOS bearings.

Regards, Mike Taylor in south Louisiana
Mike, do you have the correct part number for your 28? Is it the BB-1225 bearing like the 30/31? If so call Don Synder at Snyders Antique's, he will probably have them available. I just purchased 4ea of the 1225 bearings for my 30, they were not listed on his website or catalog.

If Don doesn't have the bearings, try Tom at Model A Works in Oregon, he specializes in AA parts, 503-284-1928 he is a one man show so leave your name and phone number on his answering machine.
Tim McCormack

Dual High

Post by Tim McCormack »

Mike-

I just have gone through my dual high unit due to leaking seals. No one that I could find knew anything about the units. The front and rear bearings are the same as far as I can tell, as are the seals. It's kind of odd that the front bearing is lubricated by the U-joint grease and the back bearing by the dual high oil. The seals are a stock NAPA item that's repackaged by the model A vendors. I have the number if anyone needs them.

I drove the truck on a 225 mile tour this weekend and it's evident that something's wrong. The dual high unit runs really hot and something started rattling around near the end of the trip.

I disassembled my spare unit tonite and found that these things are full of brass bushings, and are rather complicated little devils. After seeing all the bushings that I know I'll have to fabricate, I'm seriously considering finding a jackshaft and getting rid of the unit all together. They are interesting to see how they work, though.

Anyone got a spare jackshaft for a 131 aa?

Tim mc
mikeg
Site Admin

Re: Dual High

Post by mikeg »

Tim McCormack wrote:Mike-

I just have gone through my dual high unit due to leaking seals. No one that I could find knew anything about the units. The front and rear bearings are the same as far as I can tell, as are the seals. It's kind of odd that the front bearing is lubricated by the U-joint grease and the back bearing by the dual high oil. The seals are a stock NAPA item that's repackaged by the model A vendors. I have the number if anyone needs them.

I drove the truck on a 225 mile tour this weekend and it's evident that something's wrong. The dual high unit runs really hot and something started rattling around near the end of the trip.

I disassembled my spare unit tonite and found that these things are full of brass bushings, and are rather complicated little devils. After seeing all the bushings that I know I'll have to fabricate, I'm seriously considering finding a jackshaft and getting rid of the unit all together. They are interesting to see how they work, though.

Anyone got a spare jackshaft for a 131 aa?

Tim mc
Tim, do you have any pictures of this dual-high rear end? I've never seen one yet I've read about them in passing.

I might have a 131 shaft for you.
Tim McCormack

Dual High

Post by Tim McCormack »

Mike-

The dual high is the unit that 29/29 had behind the tranny and before the rear end. Dual high is a misnomer, though, it should have been called a dual slow. It's basically an underdrive. Problem is that when the thing is running in low all the power is riding on 2 really big brass bushings. They are loud, leaky and complicated units.

I like having the thing in there but think that it is gong to be more problems than it's worth. Realistically, I'd like a warford, but we all know how difficult they are to find.

For now I'd like to find a jackshaft assembly to put in there and keep the truck on the road until I can afford an overdrive or find a warford. Vince Falter just posted a blowup on AHOOGA of the unit.

Tim.
dAAve

Post by dAAve »

Guys:

I have never opened one up, but on these dual units - would there be enough room to machine it to take roller bearings instead of the bushings? similar to the roller bearing solution many of us have used on the steering sector shafts?
:?:
dAAve
Pennsyltuckey, USA
mikeg
Site Admin

Re: Dual High

Post by mikeg »

Tim McCormack wrote:Mike-

For now I'd like to find a jackshaft assembly to put in there and keep the truck on the road until I can afford an overdrive or find a warford. Vince Falter just posted a blowup on AHOOGA of the unit.

Tim.
Tim,

Here is a picture of the driveshaft I have for a 30 swb truck.