Wood installation in 82A Cab.

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
s147881
Body Type: stake bed 82A
Model Year: 1930

Wood installation in 82A Cab.

Post by s147881 »

I have been installing the roof wood in my 82A (April 1930) cab and I have a few questions.

1) I have two pieces approximately 2 feet long that are ~5/8 X 1" that are drilled and counter sunk for four screws. Where do these go?

2) I tried multple different ways but the wood joints do not fit together perfect. I plan to sand, fill and sand to fill the cracks. Is this OK?

3) Where the bows tie into the front header, the header was drilled with a round bit and then cutout in the back to accept the bow. Do you typically fill these in with filler after wood assembly?

Thanks
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Re: Wood installation in 82A Cab.

Post by Neil Wilson »

It sounds like the two 5/8" x 1" x 2' pieces are the windlace boards which are attached to the bottom side of the door headers. These pieces hold the windlace across the top of the door and should be insatalled after you have the windlace and the doors are hung so that you can determine how close the boards should be to the door. The windlace tail will be notched to fit around the screws.

Attached is a picture showing the windlace and the board (original).

I would sand all wood joints smooth where the top material is going to be installed. Any place where one board is higher than a joining board will end up showing through the top material (sooner or later). I would fill all seams and also the round cutouts for the top bows.

See you all when we return from Peru (1st of next month).
Attachments
Upholstery - windlacing a1.JPG
Upholstery - windlacing a1.JPG (45.39 KiB) Viewed 2393 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
s147881
Body Type: stake bed 82A

Re: Wood installation in 82A Cab.

Post by s147881 »

Thanks for the information.