Help with ID

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
youngone
Model Year: 1930

Help with ID

Post by youngone »

Hi, I'm fourteen and am looking for help to identify my Grandfather's Model A truck. It has been in the family before World War 2 and now he said I could have it. It was running when he put it in a shed about 25 years ago but being a farm truck it will need some work to put it back the way I would like to see it. I've been reading the Forum and I believe I've gotten the right numbers off the engine. Could someone please see if they can tell me any information from them. Also any books that you would recommend I should get to help with this project would be greatly appreciated. AA1826250
under that was A2732811 Thanks Again!
John - NNY

Re: Help with ID

Post by John - NNY »

This is what I found about the numbers that you provided.

AA1826250 = June 1929

A2732811 = December 1929

This is a link to where I found the info.

http://www.mafca.com/eng-prod.html

I'm not sure why there would be two numbers on the engine block. Maybe I am missing something.

John
NNY
maacobob
Body Type: popcorn trk
Model Year: 1928

Post by maacobob »

fourteen years old aaah

fourteen years old

keep up the good work, ask a lot of questions
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

AA1826250 under that was A2732811

Hmmmn. I think we need photographs here.
AA1826250 is a Model AA truck built during June 1929.
A2732811 is a Model A car built during December 1929.
If both numbers are on the same pad on the block you most likely have a December, '29 A engine that was transplanted into the AA and the AA engine number added to it.
Pictures, pictures, pictures of everything please. :D
youngone

Post by youngone »

I got lots of pictures, I tried to take them of everything+angle I could think of. I will try to get some better ones of the #, but I will post them anyway. You will have to excuse the paint job. It was in a few parades as the Old Gray Mare. They put an off-centered wheel on it so it would limp and cut up the fendors. Before this, my grandpa "modifided" it. It is also in a shed that probably will fall down. It also looks like they braced the shed on it.
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Youngone:

Sounds like you've got a cool ol/ truck! You might want to keep it just the way it is for parades and the like. There are a lot of other AA's out there that you can get to restore. Have a blast with your truck, no matter what you decide to do with it.

Aahoogah!
-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
youngone

Post by youngone »

News- the top # has been scratched out. Does that mean it"s a Dec. 29?
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Youngone:

Not necessarily. Any chance that you can post some photos of the numbers? Are the numbers on the engine block or on the top of the left-side frame rail?

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
youngone

Post by youngone »

Grandpa said he replaced engine head. Does this change the year? He also said that it is a grain truck. He bought a dumptruck for $25 to replace the transmission connecting drive gear. He also has a new distrubter, cap and rotor for it. When did the 1930 models come out. (I have 5 opening dish wheel duelies) Drew- the #s are on the engine block. I got lots of pics, but my mom is having trouble posting them. any help would be appriciated.
REM

Post by REM »

The 1930 trucks came out in Jan 1930 and would have been the first trucks to have the 5 hole wheel and dual rears. The cab style did not change until June 1930. The ones built prior to June would have had the 29 style cab.
The question is whether the engine number matches the frame number. Over the years most have had at least one engine change and more often than not the numbers on the engine are not correct.
youngone

Post by youngone »

How do we check the frame #. We have been told it is located on the top rail of the frame on the driver's side under the cab. Is this the right location? If not, any info would be helpful.
youngone

Post by youngone »

The double A # was the # marked out. It was on top of the single A #.
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Hello Youngone I have a late '30-'31 if you are confussed over the serial #'s try this My engine does not have a serial and my AA frame does not have a serial # I've looked from the steering box to a foot behind the crossmember and on the crossmember but no #'s. my frame is not rusted or pitted. I can see the scratch marks where the frame was press formed. Happy "AA"ing
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

Shelby,
You have to remove the cab and splash apron to see the frame number.
TruckMan
Body Type: Garwood Dump
Model Year: 1928

Post by TruckMan »

It was common practice back in the day to rebuild a Model A engine and then restamp it to match the car or truck it was going in to. I have seen this myself. Recall that the engine number was on the title and when a person put in a rebuilt they needed it to match their title. So the machinist scratched out the "old" number and put the one from the title on it.

I would venture that the AA engine was taken to the rebuilders. AA’s saw hard service and were frequently rebuilt. Then they rebuilt it and sold it to a Model A owner. Since then, some one may have taken that engine and put it in your truck. That’s my opinion, of course, but explains the sequence of numbers.

Do you have the title?

(By the way, I bought my first truck when I was 15.)

Truck Man
TruckMan