VIN #

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Franklin
Model Year: 1930

VIN #

Post by Franklin »

Should the engine # match the frame# exactly? My frame has just enough rust on the top rail that I can't make out the numbers. I want to clean this area up and stamp new numbers on.
REM

Re: VIN #

Post by REM »

Yes.
The frame was stamped to match the engine when the engine was installed. They should be the same.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

Stamping new numbers is illegal and not only can you lose the vehicle you can go to jail.
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Franklin:

Go to your State's Department of Motor Vehicles and tell them your problem. There's legal ways to obtain a new vehicle I. D. number and to obtain an ownership certificate. In what state do you reside?

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Drew, I live in Michigan and have had minor problems with the DMV in the past, but I have been told that things are a lot better down there lately. Also do you know if there should be an " AA " in the begining of the number sequence on the engine?
REM

Post by REM »

Most AA's had AA stamped at the beginning of the engine as well as the frame stamping.
There were a few months when they only used a single A. I believe it was sometime in 28 or 29. I would have to do some research to find out. Maybe someone has a better memory and will jump in.
I would suggest you try to determine the number originally stamped on the frame as it would be the correct identifying number for the truck.
It was suggested to me by a State Highway Patrol vehicle inspection officer to stamp the original number in a location that could be seen with out lifting the body on my AA. I plan to do that as it might save some trouble sometime later on. I would not be tampering with the original numbers or changing them. Just putting a number where it could be seen if needed. Just need to decide here. I would like for it to be near where the original is and be somewhat hidden or covered.
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Franklin:

Ditto what Rem wrote you. Model A cars and pickups used only "A" (not "AA").

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

FYI on the AA for the engine id.

Note: for a three month period starting mid February 1928 (with engine number A-26268) through mid May 1928 (with engine number 136,000 approximately) the AA truck clutch spring was the same as the Model A. During this period the engine number had the “A” prefix. Refer to the “Service Letters” dated February 23rd and May 15th 1928. Otherwise, the AA chassis has an AA id prefix.

Also, I used a procedure in Colorado to obtain a title which I had lost, had no copy, and it was more than 10 years old. So, the Colorado DMV did not have a copy so I could get a duplicate. It was quite a procedure and ended up costing $100+ (like 10 years ago). Probably it would be more like $300 to $500 now. The biggest expence was the insurance I had to purchase to protect the state (based on the value of the vehicle). I would advise that the MI procedures be obtained and reviewed before trying this procedure. It could be more work and cost than a person wants to go through.

I have two '31 AA's in which the original engine id is stamped on the top of the left frame rail where it can to seen by removing floor board #2. Of course I spent the time to lifted up the cab and searched in the normal place before finding the numbers (not too smart)!
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Franklin »

Thanks guys, I thought all AA's had "AA" stamped on the engine. My 30 starts out with a star then the letter A then seven numbers followed by another star. My books tell me that it is a September 29 engine, although my body style is 1930. I'm quite certain that it is all original, and will now check with the DMV before I stamp the frame. I will however need a star and number stamps.
REM

Post by REM »

I don't see how the engine can be original to an AA with a 30 style cab as Ford used the 28/29 style cabs until June of 1930 when the new cab style went into production. All 1929/1930 and 1931 AA's would have a ID number preceeded by AA. Any A pickup or AA truck built prior to June 1930 would have the 29 style cab.
I would sure try to make out the # stamped into the frame as that whould give you a much closer idea of when the truck was built. It will also be the correct # to have on the registration.

Richard
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Aren't there certain type of chemical applications that help lift numbers, so they become more readable. Or, have I been watching too much "CSI Miami"?

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Now you have me thinking. It's strange that when I pulled the body off, I found the frame to be in great condition except for the place where the vin number is. It is the only place on the frame where there is just enough rust to obscure the numbers. I always thought it was a early 30 but now I'm not sure. There was no evidence that the body had ever been removed, but I can tell you it looks like someone purposely damaged the frame stamping. I can't stamp that engine number on the frame if my body is a late 30 or even a 31. Not sure what to do at this point.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Pictures are worth a 1,000 words when it comes to identifying an AA. The cab, firewall, wheels (and there date if for '30/'31).
Regards, Neil Wilson