Weaver crane

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
cornettd
Model Year: 1930

Weaver crane

Post by cornettd »

I am in the process of restoring a two ton Weaver crane that I will soon be advertising for sale. I am looking for leads for a place that can reproduce the Weaver data plates that are riveted to each side of the framework. These plates are roughly 8"x10" and are riveted to the framework of the crane. I have one good plate that could be used as a pattern, but would probably like to have two new matching plates made. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. Dave Cornett 614-374-0846.
erwin
Model Year: 1930

Re: Weaver crane

Post by erwin »

Hi Dave,
maybe strange to get an answer from Belgium, but I also have a AA ford with a Weaver one ton crane..
I was also missing the plaquettes and I solved the problem as follows :
I took a picture from the internet, enlarged it to the correct size, printed it out and had a negative cast made in plexiglass. ( It can be easily drilled out in a machine shop.)
Then I cast the plates in clear polyester, through witch I mixed lead powder to make it gray
( almost black)
After drying, I wrubbed the plates with red copper powder ( can be bought in a paint shop).
This gives a beautiful old copper glaze to the plates.
I fixed them to my crane and even after two years nobody has seen they where replica's !
T have made some extra's, and I will try to make some pics and put then on the forum.
If you like them, please contact me on the forum or at v.erwin@belgacom.net
Greets, Erwin