88-A Platform

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Royal
Model Year: 1930

88-A Platform

Post by Royal »

Is there an article in previous newsletters on 88-A Platform?
Got the old wood (2x6" tng covered with 1/4" plywood) removed. Right Floor Side Member angle is bent and all 4 rivets are sheared? Left side bent with center two rivets sheared. Right side sill has chunk missing just in front of the end cap. Left side sill looks good. All frame hardware looks good.
Plan will be to drive it another month then start restoration!
Roy
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Re: 88-A Platform

Post by Neil Wilson »

The 88-A article was in the April 1997 newsletter. This article was published in the MAFCA magazine (probably in '97 and/or '98) in three parts. Likewise, the article is published in volume 7 of "How to Restore Your Model A" (published by MAFCA).

The original floor was made up of 1-1/4" thick boards with skid strips covering the 5/16" gap between boards.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Royal »

Neil,
Have Restorers back about 7 years and How to Restore Your Model A 1-6 so am just gonna send you a check and get the past issues of the AAer newsletter.
What do I use for frame sills? Told to get 4"x6" pine and have it cut to size by a wood shop?
Thanks,
Roy
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hello Roy,
I have one set of the back issues left and I am putting your name on them to hold. I will have to get more sets made up.

My research shows that the sills were 1-3/4 to 1-15/16 wide x 5-1/2 high x 100 long. I recommend making them 1-15/16" wide as this gives a better width for the angle to sill carriage bolts (i.e. not so much thread to stick out past the nuts). The 5-1/2” height is important for original u-bolts and rear fenders (if you have them). I do not recommend using most pine (too soft). Most original bodies which I have seen have yellow pine which is harder than other pine. I have found two bodies which had maple for the sills and floor boards. I used maple for my platform sills. It is very hard and resists compression from the carriage bolt nuts being tightened. I called a hardwood mill in Denver and had the sills cut to size.

I used 2x10 fir for the floor boards because it was cheap and we do not have yellow pine around here. These were cut down to 1-1/4” x 7-1/4”. I picked through the pile at the lumber yard to find boards with few knots. I have since found a place in Kansas which has yellow pine and I think that it would be more original (but probably as expensive as maple).
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Royal »

Neil,
Thanks! Mailed the check today!
After removing the platform wood, everything (except bent platform angle) looks original and in great shape. I will know more once I get the newsletters and can identify all the hardware. I am taking digital pictures and video of everything to help me put it all back together.
Body and paint guy comes tomorrow for estimate. Will not paint until next spring but am trying to identify all costs!
AA Stake in the Oregonian today for $16,000. May go look at it.
Thanks again for sharing your expertise!
Roy DeLand