Need help to ID splash Shields

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
RLaurin
Model Year: 1930

Need help to ID splash Shields

Post by RLaurin »

Greetings all. I have a 1930 gravity dump that seems to have been a truck with a previous life. I am at the point of buying new splash shields and need help to replace what I have. I am guessing it was a panel delivery based on advice I previously recieved but am not sure. Here is my question.
Splash shields I have now are aprox. 69 inches long. They bolt up to the fender. Fenders also have a cone shaped section that is spot welded on aprox 18 inches long. Running boards on my truck are aprox 65 inches long. You can tell this truck used to have rear fenders.
Which splash sheilds from MAC's do I order? They all look like they have the cone attached to them as one piece. Mine were seperate sections and none of them add up to the length of my cones and shields added together. Do I need to cut off the old cone section from my fenders to accomadate new splash shields?
Can someone give me some guidance here and tell me which sheild part number from Mac's I need to order.
Thanks
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Re: Need help to ID splash Shields

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hello RLaurin,
I am guessing that your truck has the 82-B cab and therefore has the 30/31 style front fenders. For 1930, these fenders would have the A/AA fender splash shield spot welded to the front fender as you indicate. This is the case for both A's and AA's. For 1931 the front fenders would have the AA fender splash shield bolted to the fender (AA only).

A dump truck would not have had rear fenders or the long running boards and shields. So, you should have running board and shield which are approximatly 30" long. The shield bolts to the front fender shield and the board bolts to the front fender plus to first two board brackets. The third bracket for the long board would not have been there for a dump truck. Attached is a picture of the correct setup for your dump truck.

Since your truck has the long running boards and shields, then it was not originally a dump truck. But, if it were originally a panel delivery, the panel body would have been replaced with the 82-A closed cab and the dump body added (possible but not likely).

I don't have a Mac catalog. The Bratton's catalog lists the short 30/31 AA running boards but not the short 30/31 AA splash shield.
Attachments
x30 Platform 8214 crop 3.jpg
x30 Platform 8214 crop 3.jpg (39.75 KiB) Viewed 3801 times
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by RLaurin »

Thanks Neil
Based on what you are saying I have a 30 like the serial #says. Not sure what it used to be though before it became a dump truck with long running boards.
If I go with the short style for the AA then do I take off the extra running board brackets? Also I assume the new splash shield will have to be spot welded to the old fender and like wise the old splash shie;ld nose section cut off the old fender. Is this a correct assumption?
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

RLaurin,
If the fender splash shields are not usable on your truck, then they should be taken off by splitting the old tack welds. I don't know what the reproduction fender splash shields look like. It is likely that they will have a flange with bolt holes so that they work for either 30 or 31. I don't think there is enough of a flange on the 30 fenders so that you can bolt on the fender aprons. So, they would need to be spot welded on.

Yes, the #3 running board bracket should be removed.

I think that you will find it hard to find the short running boards! I think that Bratton's had a run of them made and was out of stock about a year ago. I don't know if another run has been made. Let us know what you find out please.

What condition are your long AA running boards in? And, are you going to get rid of them?

Attached are a couple of pictures of the board and aprons on my 1930 AA.
Attachments
xIMG_4249.jpg
xIMG_4249.jpg (77.06 KiB) Viewed 3787 times
xIMG_4250.jpg
xIMG_4250.jpg (70.18 KiB) Viewed 3786 times
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by RLaurin »

Thanks Neil.
The old runnings boards are in bad shape but I think restorable. Couple of bullet holes which are minor and could be welded shut. Edges deteriorated but new medal could be welded on and made to look good. Kind of worn thin in a few spots on the diamond deck but could be covered with running board pads I suppose. That's what I was going to try until the discussion of going with the short ones. But if they, the short running boards and splash shields can not be found, I may have to go back to my original plan and use what I have. But that takes me back to the splash apron issue. Which ones do I use. Think I got that figured out now with all your help so I will take a deep breath and try to decide what I want to do. Short or long.
Again thanks for the help.
Mike in Maine
Body Type: 82B
Model Year: 1931

Post by Mike in Maine »

RLaurin,
If you think you may want to go with the short running boards I have extra ones, if you cannot find any.
Not perfect but in my opinion usable with some work. If you find you might be interested at some point I will send you pictures.
Mike