rear axle

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Bender
Model Year: 1930

rear axle

Post by Bender »

Hey.... new guy here ... after ten years of trying i talked my neighbor out of his late 30 AA.
he bought it 30 years ago, drovei t a week and tok it apart to restore it...never happened except for all new brake parts. the chassis got a lot of rust outside and the body was stored inside so its in great shape.

so while fixing my rust problem on the frame i noticed the right axle pad is tilted forward a little and the left is centered on top of the axle. is something bent maybe or is this normal? i assume these perches allow the rear housing to move. the right rear "wishbone" if that is the correct name has a very slight bend but i would think that would push the perch to the rear not forward.

thanks for the help

jeff
Drew Mashburn

Re: rear axle

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Jeff:

Are the rear wheels and tires still in place? If so, how do the tires look? If the rear axel is not straight, I would think the tires would be worn pretty severely.

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
bud valerius

Post by bud valerius »

Check to see if one spring is in backwards , measure from the center bolt to the end of the spring one side is longer than the other ,It is also possible that the spring has shifted in its brackets , if so you can loosen the two brackets on the spring and the center bolt then knock the spring back to the correct alignment
Bender

Post by Bender »

the tires were new 30 years ago.... i'll look at the springs and take a measurement.. thanks for the imput...

jeff