New Restoration Project

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
BunkerHill
Model Year: 1930

New Restoration Project

Post by BunkerHill »

Good afternoon everyone. Pleased to meet you. I am new to AA restoration - but have a '31 A pickup (almost complete!). I've learned a lot and have a LOT left to learn. I recently purchased a '31 AA dump out of the proverbial farmers field. I need six wheels (5 slot) - are these what you refer to as Budd wheels? I live on the east coast (West Virginia) but am willing to coordinate shipping from the west if necessary. Thanks very much. You'll be hearing more from me for sure.
mikeg
Site Admin
Body Type: 150B

Re: New Restoration Project

Post by mikeg »

BunkerHill wrote:Good afternoon everyone. Pleased to meet you. I am new to AA restoration - but have a '31 A pickup (almost complete!). I've learned a lot and have a LOT left to learn. I recently purchased a '31 AA dump out of the proverbial farmers field. I need six wheels (5 slot) - are these what you refer to as Budd wheels? I live on the east coast (West Virginia) but am willing to coordinate shipping from the west if necessary. Thanks very much. You'll be hearing more from me for sure.
Welcome to the AA-Forums! The forms were setup about a year ago and are starting to gain momentum.

There is also an AA owners club called FMAATC and you can get more information about the club at the following URL: http://fmaatc.com/ Neil Wilson runs the club and publishes a yearly newsletter.

Your correct about the wheels, they are budd and can come in a few different "flavors" recently there was some disscussion about wheels, just browse through the topics and you should come across the posts.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Welcome to the AA world. You may want to join the FMAATC as Mike mentioned. I am currently working on the 2004 newsletter. AND, if I get my act together and get Mike some more input on the club web site, I will have it announced in the upcoming newsletter.

If your '31 AA is 4/31 or prior, then it will have the '30 style wheels. If your AA is 4/31 or after then it will have the '31 style wheels. Note the overlap for April of '31 when the change over took place. All of the '30/'31 wheels are dated stamped (like 4-31) on the inside between two lug bolt holes. You can intermix '30/'31 wheels if you want. I have seen April '31 AA's with some '30 wheels and some '31 wheels.

The '31 style wheel was made into '33. I may be getting some '31 wheels to sell. I won't know until December or January. But, sorry, they will be expensive if they are as good as being advertised.

Holly and I leave for Tahiti in a couple of days and will be out of touch until we return.

You can e-mail me in December at wilsmor@juno.com if you are still looking for wheel.
Regards, Neil Wilson