28 Truck coupling shaft help please

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Matt from oz
Model Year: 1930

28 Truck coupling shaft help please

Post by Matt from oz »

High from down under
I have a 28 AA truck that has done 395miles in 4yrs after my total restoration.I have had no end of GRIEF with the coupling shaft,it has stripped twice and ruinend the end that goes into the speedo drive, my shaft is 18@14/16ths or 480mm aprox.Now when it is not held in by the bolt that goes in that end it has approx 1inch or 25mm free play ?????.My friend is a machinest and has lenghend the female end of the speedo drive 15mm to give the shaft full lengh mateing, i want to get it right this time so i can enjoy it,the wife is doing her head, when can we go for a drive ect,the rearend is not the worm type as in the cars it has a huge differential in it and is only good for 25mph,am at wits end and any help is appreciated
Cheers Matt from oz
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Re: 28 Truck coupling shaft help please

Post by Neil Wilson »

Matt,
How about a couple of pictures to help explain what you are referencing. US 1928 AA's had worm drive rear axles. The coupling shaft has a u-joint on both the front and rear. The rear u-joint fits into the drive shaft.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

Neil,
I think he has a Canadian built truck with the open drive line. I looked in my Canadian parts book and it shows a speedometer gear housing and companion flange that I think goes on the back of the transmission.

Bob
Attachments
AADIFF.2.jpg
AADIFF.2.jpg (30.44 KiB) Viewed 3750 times
AADIFF.1.jpg
AADIFF.1.jpg (87.32 KiB) Viewed 3750 times
Matt from oz

Post by Matt from oz »

Hi Bob,Neil
Yes, looking at the pic's it is Canadian, the problem i now have after it has been fixed is the speedo carrier wont mate up to the chassis, the shaft will go into the yolk at the back of the gearbox fine and it will also go into the speedo drive carrier, but when trying to bolt it up to the chassis there is about a 10mm gap at the bottom of the carrier to the chassis,and for the life of me i don't know why.
I have a spare chassis and have taken some measurements and all is within a mill or two.the chassis baerer that the speedo carrier bolts to is straight and shows no sign of being bent or twisted,the coupling shaft housing needs to slip into the rear carrier and lock in, if it dont it turns as well as the shaft and i dont think it is suppost to. I am wondering if the motor,trans has dropped ??,but looking at the setup that can't happen as there is no provision for slotted mounts if you know what i mean, ( just straight bolt holes )I would love to post pics but am not sure how to upload and post,i can do anything with my hands, but a puter well,hmm
Thankyou for a reply it is much appreciated
Cheers Matt from West Aussie
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Matt,
You might want to contact Robert Turner at rturner@buildex.com.au. He may be able to help out on Canadian built AA's.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Matt from oz »

Thanks mate
Will give Rob a go
I will work it out, i havn't done all this work for nix
Cheers form down here Matt