Front end alignment

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
IHC
Model Year: 1930

Front end alignment

Post by IHC »

My front end troubles seem to carry on.
Now I'm able to measure the different values, but how to translate them? My reference is Jim Schild's A and AA books but I don't know how to translate the figures:
Caster he says should be 3 ½ degrees. This is the easy part as I measure everything in degrees too.
Camber 1 13/16". Where? I'm only able to measure the camber in degrees. How does this measure translate into degrees?
I know that i cannot change the king-pin inclination, but what is it originally?
Ib Henning Christensen
IHC, Danmark
tiredtruckrestorer
Model Year: 1931

Re: Front end alignment

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

Hello Ib,

Since nobody else answered your request, I thought I'd try to help. I'm going to try to attach the alignment specs from a 1930 Bear Alignment catalog and a page showing how to check the straightness of Model A and AA Ford axles. The 1930-31 caster is correct at 3 1/2 degrees. Assuming kingpins, spring perches and everything else is tight, your problem may be a worn ball on the rear of the front radius rods, incorrect parts and or assembly. I've seen the radius rod ball cap assembled incorrectly or seen guys use the rubber ball type mount that can throw the caster out of spec and cause steering problems. The kingpin inclination should be 7 degrees. The picture of the Ford axle shows the method of checking the straighness of the axle and the kingpin and spring perch inclination. The axle can be bent cold to make corrections. If you need anything else just ask. Hope this may help.

Keith Ernst, Tired Truck Restoration

Note: I don't think it allowed me to make the attachments. Email me and I will send them to you directly.