Grease fittings and tail pipe routing

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Re: Grease fittings and tail pipe routing

Post by Chris Haynes »

I'll be needing two for my 131 1/2" WB.
Last edited by Chris Haynes on November 27th, 2009, 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Gray

Post by Robert Gray »

Count me in!!
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

If some one could post the measurements for the 157" wheel base with may be a diagram anyone can make them especially anyone working on an AA truck having to make parts and body panels. This is the easiest part to make. Shelby, Louisiana.
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform
Model Year: 1931

Post by rollingsculpture »

Shelby if you have the hangers you can post a tracing with the shape and exact dimensions, if not i bet our friend Neil may be able to help on this. i know for some this is an easy project ,but i would have to say that there are two tricky parts to this job one is the exact diameter of the pipe section and the second is the small section with the little bend that the bolt goes through to close the loop both of those sections require torch work to get the shape right . thats where a tracing is the best template . and if you dont have metal working in your toolbox of knowledge or no tools and a shop to do it in, than its a no go ,and i think thats where mr grey is coming from . not sure about mr Haynes but hes a good cat as far as i can tell so count you in, am willing to help. you guys are extended family in my book.
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

These straps are easy to make with out a torch. 1/8'x1" flat is easy to work with. To get the wrap around the exhaust pipe use some thing that is 1-5/8" OD round Will fit pipe perfectly. Some of the clamps has a 1/4" right end near the clamp bolt hole. Bend this first find hole center mark then one some clamps bend the next right angle, some are close to a 45*. No i don't have none of the 157" WB clamps. all I have is the 131'WB And I made an exact copy of if. NO HEAT!!!! Shelby, Louisiana.
Robert Gray

Post by Robert Gray »

I have tried several times to make the hangers using the method exactly exactly as you describe. My results were less than satisfactory for various reasons. I am sure from reading your posts that there are things at which you are less than expert ...can't understand your objection to someone asking for help. Should I give up on my AA because I can't do precise bends in metal flatbar?
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Bob,no don't give up on your AA. I never mint this to afend anyone just trying to encourage you guys to make these your self if you cannot find them. I was looking for measurement when I found this post. I had seen a post I think of the measurements, though someone would post a reply for the measurements to help the ones needing them. Sorry for the misunderstanding! I'm no expert just trying to help out, Sorry! Shelby, Louisiana.
rollingsculpture

Chris Haynes wrote:I'll be needing two for my 131 1/2" WB.
chris im surprised you need two for a 131wb , it has been pointed out to me that a 131 wb uses only 1 clamp and that the clamp is the same as a model A according to the SBs is this for your 29/30 ?
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

rollingsculpture wrote:
Chris Haynes wrote:I'll be needing two for my 131 1/2" WB.
chris im surprised you need two for a 131wb , it has been pointed out to me that a 131 wb uses only 1 clamp and that the clamp is the same as a model A according to the SBs is this for your 29/30 ?

In that case I guess I don't need them.
Thanks
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Chris, My book shows 1 bracket on the 131 1/2" wb. open bodies,short tail pipes. Fashioned to an adapter # AA5257-B (my frame that adapter is riveted with 2 rivets on upright side of frame about 12" behind the muffler). It uses the same bracket as an A. ON the 131 1/2" wb. with closed bodies-long tail pipe has 2 brackets. 1 at the rear tip of muffler. Part # AA 5256 D very simular to the top picture the Neil posted above. This pipe #AA 5253 turns about 45* and is mounted on the back side of next cross member about 1/3 rd. frame frame, using the A bracket. It is shown on page 558 Ford Service Bulletin 1928- 1931. Hope this helps! Shelby, Louisiana.
rollingsculpture

So than in those configurations for brackets we are looking for standard model A brackets? note that on SB pg 442 is the updated muffler clamp and the adapter that gets rivetted to the frame ,i saw that adapter and didnt know what it was for and Neil pointed it out to me i noticed the muffler clamp that mounts there has a single hole for mounting . so do i need to fabricate that style of bracket or is that a model a bracket that available.
Attachments
crsmbr  adptr on frame.jpg
crsmbr adptr on frame.jpg (96.82 KiB) Viewed 5396 times
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Rollingsculpture, If that is your frame above that is where your tail pipe clamp or bracket goes as pictured on pg 442. The clamp is the same as on the A car or pickup. Mac's # is A5256B @ $4.95. The book says bracket # A5256C . Pg 558 shows where they go, but is confusing with the part #s. This muffler set up uses the car or pickup muffler. This is for the open body, say with closed Pickup or AA cab. The bracket could be made. If you do use a 1 11/16" od pipe to form where clamps to pipe.The pipe on lower radiator to engine is perfect size to use if you have an old one! Hope this helps, Good luck! Shelby, Louisiana.
rollingsculpture

the diagram in the sb on pg 558 shows figure 1160 uses 2 clamps for the 131.5 wb CC they are part A5652D with two holes to attach to adapter in front of frame as on my frame in photo above and part A5256C with a single hole for attachment directly to the bottom of the 4th frame cross mbr .
Last edited by rollingsculpture on December 14th, 2009, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Figure 1160 is closed body like a hearse or standrive, delivery sedan or school bus. Figure 1159 is open body like a flat bed, stake body or dump body where on exhaust fumes are sucked in rear of vehicle. You have the AA-5257-B adpter as in fig. 1159. The clamp mounted to the bottom of frame is not original. To me the bolt holes holding this clamp are too for apart. I have nothing to measure for the 2 hole centers in the frame. Maybe someone could post this measurement for you to check the centers and distance from the inside edge of frame to hole center! Hope this helps! Shelby, Louisiana. I said page 558 was confusing!!!
rollingsculpture

ahh thats why Chris needs Two. so the 1st one is like Neils posting. the second one would be part A5256c with a single hole for the nut and bolt to attch correct? so the second one is the repro part mention in this thread is that right?