Lightened Fly wheel and Clutch problems

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Jim505
Model Year: 1930

Lightened Fly wheel and Clutch problems

Post by Jim505 »

I am working on my 30 AA truck and had the flly wheel lightened. Now I have problems getting the clutch to release. I have double checked the finger adjustment to .625 I have tried several (3) pressure plates and the same result. I suspect the flywheel is not to specs Does anybody have the measurement from the clutch surface to the ridge where the pressure plate sits? Throwout bearing and bearing on flywheel are new and good. Any suggestions??
E.Moore

Re: Lightened Fly wheel and Clutch problems

Post by E.Moore »

I recently bought a clutch bearing fork from Bratton's that has longer forks that are 3/4" longer than the original forks. A Longer clutch release fork should remedy your problem.
Jim505

Post by Jim505 »

Thanks E. Moore I checked and I am getting plenty of movement of the throw out bearing. I measured the fly wheel from the shoulder to the surface on mine and it is 1.090 and and the measurement on an old one is 1.325. I am sure the old one is worn somewhat but I need to confirm the resurfacing measurement.
bud valerius

Post by bud valerius »

Ford used a two step flywheel , when having one resurfaced you have to remove the same amount from the pressure plate bolted surface as you remove from the disk surface . If you have installed a new shaft in the transmission for the clutch & brake pedal you may have used a car shaft which has the holes drilled at the wrong angle & the clutch won't release .
Jim505

Post by Jim505 »

Thanks Bud I checked and the shaft is ok. I mounted an old flywheel to the engine with pressure plate and clutch and an old transmission. The clutch released ok then I mounted my fly wheel same pressure place and clutch and transmission and same settings. The clutch would not release. I don't think there is enough distance between the pressure plate shoulder and the flywheel surface. HMMMMMMMMM
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

According to a post on Fordbarn the distance from the flywheel surface to the
pressure plate mounting step should be 1.123.
Jim505

Post by Jim505 »

Thanks Bob C I appreciate the info. I am keeping track of all the suggestions and learning a lot. Thanks again.
Jim505

Post by Jim505 »

:D I got the fly wheel resurfaced to 1.123 and the clutch releases just fine. Thanks to all for the help.