1930 AA Doodlebug/Jitterbug

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Gumperguy
Body Type: jitterbug
Model Year: 1930

1930 AA Doodlebug/Jitterbug

Post by Gumperguy »

Hello Everybody-I'm very new at this and it has taken me about a half a year to make an entry. I'm Ben Dresser from Old Town Maine. I have always had an interest in old cars, I bought my first car (in 1965)when I was 16, a '34 Ford 2 door sedan, which I still have. All through the years I've always had an affinity for jitterbugs/doodlebugs. In the last 5 years I've been involved with a hillbilly bluegrass band, http://www.hillbillyband.com This bought on a desire to purchase/build a jitterbug/doodlebug which is nothing more than an expensive prop for the band. I found an early 1930 Ford AA which has the '29 looking cowl and the 5 hole duals and I put wire spokes on the front. I'll see if I can post a pic as soon as I can figure out how. So I'm wondering if there any doodle characters out there? I'm having fun restoring the double A truck to proper doodlebug status. Hopefully next summer I'll have it ready as a parademobile.-Ben Dresser
steve s.
Body Type: BB204A
Model Year: 1932

Re: 1930 AA Doodlebug/Jitterbug

Post by steve s. »

Hello Ben,

I have been a Doodlebug fan for a very long time. I came across one in a barn near my home when I was about five years old, and I've had the "bug" ever since. That one is still in the same barn, too.

For anyone unfamiliar with the term, a doodlebug is a home built tractor made out of just about any make car or truck , shortened up, usually with a second transmission and a truck rear axle. Of course the vast majority of them seem to be Ford A and T based .Some of them are very crude, and others show some real creative ingenuity. By now though, most are long gone , or very rusty, but they still turn up.

I don't own one now, but if one doesn't come along, I figure I have enough parts to build my own someday.

Good luck with yours, hope the picture posts ok. Steve
Cave-man
Body Type: open cab

Post by Cave-man »

HI guys I am also new but off with a bang My first look at a doolebug made me think that is a cool old golf cart!!!! go to a steam show too see them running ,I traveled 800 miles to get mine a 28 AA with wire wheels and a 2 speed warford , I will post a pic soon along with the open cab AA early 30 with duels its too cool . people cant help to smike at a doodle have a good one. Cavey
Roadster AA
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1928

Post by Roadster AA »

Hello Ben,
My name is Pat and I live in Skowhegan, Maine. I have a model AA Doddlebug/Snowmobile that I am working on.
My phone # is 474-7189. Give me a call sometime. I have a lot of parts and early Iron. I also have a Roadster AA that I am picking away at very slowly. and I am getting parts for a closed cab PU. 80% there. and getting parts for a Model a Tractor, Mog-Wards, 50% there.
Thanks,
Pat
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Pat:

You have an AA roadster? What year is it? Do you have the open cab for it? Are the bows there too? How complete is the truck?

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
Roadster AA
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1928

Post by Roadster AA »

Hello Drew,
My AA roadster is a 28. The body is great. Patch panels all in, and all rust fixed. Good doors. Have the bows. just need the bottom to one side. about 5 inches are missing. Frame is all done and motor is rebuilt. I found a walford trans. but have not got it yet.Have a PTO. like new hood, very good fenders and aprons. VG running boards. and most other parts.
It has wire wheels but I like duals. I have the hubs so I can do which ever I want. Just need TIME to work on it. I will retire in a year work on my AA'S

Pat
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Pat:

Sounds like a sweet little AA! Years ago, I had an early '28 dumptruck. It had wire wheels which attracted lots of attention to it. I can relate to not having enough time to work on our AA's. I'm approaching retirement too. Then, HIT IT, Baby!

Good luck with your projects,
-- Drew
Drew Mashburn