Body lines and shimming

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
Buckweet

Body lines and shimming

Post by Buckweet »

Greetings All,

I was working on the 29 AA this weekend and noticed the belt line on the cowl lines up with the belt line on the door, however the belt line on the side of the back section of the cab is about 3/4 inch higher than the door line. Hmmmmm....

Anyone have a good reference for the shimming points or suggestions on other possible causes? Rotted body blocks?

Also does anyone have a driver's side door post for the '29 in any condition. Mine is missing along with the related metal hardware(door latches)

Thanks,

Buckweet
bwatson@kpmg.com
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

It is important that you insure the door hinges are all flat and tight in the both the door and coupe pillar (i.e. the hinge pillar) before changing the body alignment

Original shims were the rubber pads under the cowl and under each body block. The pads were layered rubber and cloth which is much more solid than most of the solid rubber pads being sold in current kits. Ford used extra pads to shim the body when installed.

Start with good body blocks and one pad under each. For a door which sags at the rear, the coupe pillar (hinge piller) needs to be shimmed. When the front body bolt is tightened, the coupe pillar is tilted forward causing the back of the door to move up.

I don't know what a "door post" is? The "door latch" is in the door? There is a coupe pillar (metal) and a latch piller (wooden).
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Bobby W. »

Thanks for the reply Neil. I was refering to the Wooden Latch Post and its related Metal Hardware (latches etc). The drivers side latch post is completly missing and I need to make the door close for a photo shoot.

thanks again