1930 Model AA- Shorten Has anyone done it?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
preachermaneddie
Model Year: 1930

Re: 1930 Model AA- Shorten Has anyone done it?

Post by preachermaneddie »

I am trying cannot figure out how to resize my pictures
preachermaneddie

I have been too busy to do much. I cannot get the pictures to post they are too large. If you want I can email some to you just ask preachermaneddie@yahoo.com I removed the rear springs and disassembled them and removed half of the spring leafes and I am going to turn them over and reinstall them under the frame rail. The brake shaft now rides over the torque tube and needed more clearance. I will still have to make new rods to run to the rear wheels will be simple, I can make them from the old ones. Things are coming along and after I get the springs installed I can move to remounting the body and hooking everything up and taking a ride.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

[quote="preachermaneddie"]I have been too busy to do much. I cannot get the pictures to post they are too large.

got to http://www.photobucket.com
load your pictures there and they will work here fine
smilebigtt
Body Type: flatbed

Post by smilebigtt »

This maybe way off base, but..... I have a model T racer I built as close to the 1920's racer designs. I moved the engine back 6 inches. With that I had to cut the torque tube and the driveshaft the same 6 inches. The tube was cut and welded toward the center of the lenght of the tube. The driveshaft was cut, welded and an overlapping sleeve over the weld was welded on. Had to make sure all was straight or inline. Some tweeking or bending of the shaft had to be done to get it perfectly straight. You will have to do much the same.
The trucks frame you can cut it within a area the the frames dimention does not change like the center. Cut out the amount you need and weld back together, paint. PLUS, buy or make a lenth of U-channel that fits inside the frame. Over lap the cut by say 6 inches mim. Weld and rivet this in place, paint. You can bolt this U-channel in but once you have torqued the grade 8 mim, bolts and nuts, weld the nuts onto the bolts and the plate to prevent them ever coming loose.
preachermaneddie

I removed the rear springs and removed the intermittent shaft(drive shaft) and moved the rear end forward. I did not have to cut the torque tube. I have been able to use parts that came off the truck and only modified them slightly. I will reinstall the rear springs and weld mounts under the frame and make brackets to weld on the top side of the axle as saddle mount style. I am trying to use parts off the truck and modify slightly but trying to make things more simple. Also wanted to shorten the wheel base to have something a little differnet. Coming along but been to busy working. I will try to post some pictures soon.
preachermaneddie

Picture http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s104/edd_074/ Look here I do not know how to transfer it here
preachermaneddie

I am trying to psot some update photos here goes
Attachments
Shortened AA.jpg
Shortened AA.jpg (443.36 KiB) Viewed 5419 times
preachermaneddie

I will get some more photos on here soon the last one is from last year it is up and running now and finishing the wrecker parts Not going to restore or paint the truck. I will add a bed I am working on putting a longer shop made model a bed on the truck. It will have a hand crank look in a few days.
Hardhatz
Body Type: Dump
Model Year: 1931

Post by Hardhatz »

Eddie,
I think your idea is pretty cool. Do not be ashamed to enjoy your Lady your way.
That being said, to my eye it needs about 5 or 6 inches more WB...
johnnydidd
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1928

Post by johnnydidd »

preachermaneddie: I was going to do the same thing with my DoodleBug, I was told by Erick Weninger (The Model "A" Medic) in Wichita, Kansas who is our local expert that the back end of ths four speed transmission wasn't strong enough to support the torque tube thats the reason for the intermediate shaft and cross member support. He said he has tried it. I did put the short intermediate shaft back in my Doodlebug makes sense to me. John
preachermaneddie

I removed the original springs and brackets. I then used about half or less of the rear leaves and u bolted them to the rear axle, this way the u-bolts hold the rearend and torque tube up giving it much support. I welded spring hangers on each frame rail front and back. it works just fine so far. I had to raise the rear a little higher that I wanted to because of the brake controls but they now work just fine. It is coming along and if I can get one of the kids to take pictures and shop them for me I will get some on here. I started all this to see what could be done with an AA and I have found out. Thanks for you input.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

I think Johnny is right on this. You basically have this set up like a truck with an
open drive line with a slip yoke where when you add weight to the truck the distance
between the rear axle and the transmission decreases and the slip yoke takes it up.
With the torque tube the distance between the rear axle and the transmission can't
change so something is going to have to give :cry:

Bob
preachermaneddie

The rear will not go down much (you would have to put alot on it) but I am not going to add any weight to it anywhere. Their is not enough room in the ujoints or the splines on the shaft to allow much movement anyway. The rearend are designed to handle all of the movement. Besides that I am just making a wrecker for looks I do not know anyone who would fix up an AA wrecker to tow with, I know I will not.
johnnydidd
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1928

Post by johnnydidd »

I thought I would send a picture of what I did to my Doodlebug, works very well I will put springs on it this winter

something to think about.