1930 Model AA- Shorten Has anyone done it?

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
preachermaneddie
Model Year: 1930

1930 Model AA- Shorten Has anyone done it?

Post by preachermaneddie »

I recently acquired a 30 AA. The Long wheel base 157". I wanted a 131 but this is what I found. I have been doing some figuring and since The staft is not in good shape I decided to shorthen the wheelbase and install the torque tube to the rear of trans like the regular A's. The wheel base will be about 117". I was just wondering if anyone has done this. At the present time I do not think I will move the crossmember but rather just take it out. The doodle bugs are built on the same idea. I think the shaft in between is the weak link in this setup. I will be removing it, thus removing the weak link. -just tinkering in Texas
Drew Mashburn

Re: 1930 Model AA- Shorten Has anyone done it?

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Preachermaneddie,

Even if you don't find anyone that's ever done this, please keep us Big Iron fans posted on how your project proceeds. Include photos, if possible. I'm sure that a lot of us would be interested in seeing how you go about this and, especially, with the final outcome.

Good Luck!
-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

Why not just pick up a SWB frame? They aren't hard to find.
preachermaneddie

The short wheelbase is 131". I want to remove the weak link in the driveline. The shaft operates bewteen two universal joints and has to have a lot of play and slop. As for why to really not get a short frame- I like to use what I have and engineer my own idea's from time to time. Hey at 117" it will be very close to an orignal A. That means I could buy up the AA and make them into beefed up pickups-just kidding! My project is a wrecker and the vision I ahve has a short wheelbase and this will work. I will have a one of a kind dual wheeled truck.
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

Have ya ever noticed that wreckers have a relitively long wheelbase and that the wheels are very close to the end of the bed?
preachermaneddie

I collect alot of wrecker stuff. I has a vision (there is a model a diecast wrecker that looks similiar to what I am going for). Besides all that I am not going to use it, it is just for looks and fun. The early wreckers were made out of cars. They would use the big four doors and other sedans because they had a heavier frame- but the shorter the wheelbase the easier it is to navigate in and around stuff. I will try and post pictures later on should have it at least mocked up in a couple of days. (The 131 wheelbase seems to have been the one used mostly as wreckers in the 30-40's). Again I am wanting to remove what I think is the weak link in the Ford design. By removing the shaft and one of the u-joints, one crossmember (the one the torque tube bolts to)(may just move it up-depends) and moving the rear end forward- should make for less maintance or at least the need to restore those parts that wear. The shaft is supported by tthe thin wall tube that it spins in. The u-jiont cover at the front which is not very thick is suppose to hold it up- the rear of the shaft also has a thin cover that holds the back up. If you noticed they all wear - they are usually bent up and the tube wore down. After a hard life like that I can see why so few are left. They made them into dooble bugs and tractor or ? or junked themn altogether. The shafts should have been cast and designed with only one u-joint- I guess.
steve s.
Body Type: BB204A
Model Year: 1932

Post by steve s. »

Preacher Man Eddie,

Don't forget that the torque tube is part of the suspension system. The torque tube attatches to that big crossmember for a reason, and the wear you find at the bell is because the system has been working. This is not to say that the truck won't function without it, but it would not last long if it had to work for a living.

I have two very short wheelbase wreckers, both of which I only use around my property, but I can tell you that if you want to lift and tow anything heavy it can be really interesting. I am planning to build another tow truck someday, and it will definately be a longer wheelbase.

Good luck with your project. Steve
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

There is only one U joint in the intermediate shaft. Not two.
preachermaneddie

My AA has a u-joint at the rear of the transmission and one at the front of the torque tube. the shaft works in bewteen the two.
preachermaneddie

I am building a wrecker just for looks I am not going to use it for work. The project is coming along- it takes a lot fo time to remove the rivets in the spring hangers. I got the crossmember out and now am almost done with removing the rear axle. It is plenty of work. But it will be well worth the effort.
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

preachermaneddie wrote:My AA has a u-joint at the rear of the transmission and one at the front of the torque tube. the shaft works in bewteen the two.
My 1930 Four speed AA has a gear on the back of the transmission that slides into a toothed end of the intermediate shaft. The shaft has a U joint on the back end where it hooks up to the drive line.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

The coupling shaft without a u-joint at the transmission is original. In mid '32 Ford released a service coupling shaft which has a u-joint at the transmission. It allowed the coupling shaft to be removed without backing out the rear axle.
Regards, Neil Wilson

I got alittle further on the project, been on vacation, sick and otherwise too busy? I ground off the rivets on most of the hanger, but had to get a torch to do the bottoms under the spring. You could pull wheel, remove spring from axle and you might could get to these rivets, any way I got the rear end lose removed cross member (that holds brake shaft and where torque tube bolts too)- a lot fo work but got it done. I rolled rear end up and found out I needed to make a hybrid u-joint (from the 2 I had) and the wheel base is about 112". Looks like a beefed up 1/2 ton model A. If you want some pictures- not sure how to get on here send me your email and I will try to get them on computer in a couple days- preachermaneddie@yahoo.com. I wish I would have taken pictures of the u-joint before I took them apart to show all who needed to see them- but I really did not know I would have to make one out of the two. I had some help to roll the rear end and I had to get it done. It is a fun project and I just wanted to see if and how to do it. the rear of frame had already been cut on and the old truck needs alot of help I tell you. But I will get her running have fun. The other areas I need to face now is if the brake shaft will reinstall and work and to make rear brake rods. Should not be too hard the hard stuff except for drilling new holes in the frame at the new hanger locations. -We are now shorter in Texas! Have fun guys!
preachermaneddie

30 AA
Attachments
30 AA 4.jpg
30 AA 4.jpg (33.07 KiB) Viewed 6674 times
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

preachermaneddie:

Any chance of you posting some photos of the work you've done? We can really only see the front end of your old girl in the photo you just posted. Hey, she's a jewel!

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn