AA Steering Wheel

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
E.Moore
Model Year: 1930

AA Steering Wheel

Post by E.Moore »

Has anyone refinished a steering wheel? What was used to fill in the cracks? Does anyone have any experience with a soybean steering wheel? I'm at the point of needing to refinish a steering wheel and have both types. The soybean wheel has no cracks, but the outer finish is worn through. I'd like to refinish it myself, but I need to know where to get refinishing materials for the Model A steering wheel.
modeleh
Model Year: 1930

Re: AA Steering Wheel

Post by modeleh »

I just refinished the wheel in my 66 4x4, but it was originally painted white so I got off easy. I used 3M 1751 Epoxy, then primed and painted with a polyurethane. For the A wheel, I don't know how you'd fill the cracks and make them invisible unless you paint it afterward. I guess you could try tinting the epoxy, but I doubt it would make a seamless repair. All I could suggest is that you fill the cracks then paint the whole thing with a paint with a flattening agent added to get the correct look of the A wheel.
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform
Model Year: 1931

Re: AA Steering Wheel

Post by rollingsculpture »

does pc 7 hold up ,has anyone used it for the cracks or for filling . ive used it for other epoxy jobs and it mixes up black to grey hues depending on how much you lean it one way or the other . i will make some test patches and see how they are for strength.