1931 Ford AA Stake Body for sale New York (SOLD)

Here you can put your AA parts for sale, and wanted posts.
dyoungs
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1931

1931 Ford AA Stake Body for sale New York (SOLD)

Post by dyoungs »

1931 Ford AA Stake Body for sale.
I am asking $16,500 for this truck. It is drive away ready.... You could drive it away and hit the parade on the way home. I am located in Vestal New York. I have lots of extra parts that will go with the truck. I have only been able to drive it a couple of times a year with schedules of family and work and feel that it is such a waste to keep it in the garage and not out on the road. I have had this truck for about 20 years and it has been garage kept as you can tell. Contact me thru this email or my cell 607-217-8404. I am not including any transportation but the truck can be put on a auto transport trailer behind your truck and go where ever it needs to go. I am asking this price as I have thought long and hard about this and have been doing research and this is a very fair price for this truck in this shape. The engine was rebuilt about 500 miles ago and it runs like a champ. Started 4 or 5 times over the winter to warm things up and even when it was 12 degree's outside the 6 volt system started up after 4 turns..... New Brakes all around, new bed, GOOD TRUCK....
Dave Youngs
Attachments
truck1.jpg
truck1.jpg (34.54 KiB) Viewed 8254 times
4th of July 2012
4th of July 2012
truck2.jpg (36.48 KiB) Viewed 8256 times
Truck working
Truck working
truck3.jpg (40.3 KiB) Viewed 8256 times
Last edited by dyoungs on July 6th, 2013, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dyoungs

Re: 1931 Ford AA Stake Body for sale New York

Post by dyoungs »

Just curious, Am I off my rocker with this price or is nobody intersted in it??? If my price is way off let me know. The reason I went with the price was I have been seeing trucks that are axle deep in a field for $6k and have seen other trucks that look like they are in the same condition mine is in for around $20k. Not looking to rob anybodies bank here just want a fair price.... And it is not like I can look it up in the Kelly Blue Book... lol..... Let me know.
Dave
flatford39
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1928

Post by flatford39 »

dyoungs wrote:Just curious, Am I off my rocker with this price or is nobody intersted in it??? If my price is way off let me know. The reason I went with the price was I have been seeing trucks that are axle deep in a field for $6k and have seen other trucks that look like they are in the same condition mine is in for around $20k. Not looking to rob anybodies bank here just want a fair price.... And it is not like I can look it up in the Kelly Blue Book... lol..... Let me know.
Dave
It all depends in your area. I personally don't think you are out of line but someone living in an area that doesn't offer the same economy as yours might think it is out of line. Nice truck and I think you have it priced right...actually if it is as good as it looks it may be a bargain.

You just have a much smaller buying audience for the big iron than you do the cars.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

Kind of hard to tell much with the pictures taken so far away.
I think it would help if you had some close up pictures of the interior, engine, chassis, ect.

Bob
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

Doug,
Yes, you need better pictures. Your AA looks good from 40 feet away. But, that is not going to sell it to anyone interested. I put together the document below because I was being asked too many times to guess at what someones AA was worth. Yea, no blue book - but there is eBay to use. Remember that it only matters what AA's are selling for and not what you see being asked.

AA Truck – What is it worth?

As is true of about anything, an AA is only worth what buyers are willing to pay. Most AA’s require more $’s to restore than what it can be sold for. If it has had an “assembly line type restoration” and has received 400+ points (out of 500 possible) at a MARC or MAFCA national meet, then the truck should be worth much more than other so called “restoration”. Most restorations which are marketed as “100% original” are far from it! The term “restored” is used to identify a wide range of restoration efforts (poor to excellent).

Ebay provides a good information source for seeing how many $’s are bid on AA’s. Most complete AA’s that I see on Ebay end up not selling because the reserve is not met. Most folks (including myself) believe that their AA is worth much more than anyone will actually pay. Some AA’ers believe that if money has been spend on a project (purchase and restoration costs), that those dollars should be what it is worth. This is usually not the case.

You can use Ebay to establish what buyers will pay:
For example – you have an AA platform which you consider restored and worth $16k. My suggestion is to put your truck on Ebay for a 15 day period. Put a reserve on it for the $16k (therefore it will not sell for less). This is not a “buy it now price”. Put a starting bid on it of $1k or less. With this ad, you will see what buyers are willing to bid across the US. Maybe there are 10 bids with a high bid of $10k. If the reserve is not met, Ebay will allow you to rerun the ad. You can change your reserve at that time if you want to.

If you just have no idea what your AA is worth, then you are safe by putting a $75k reserve on it. But you must start with a low starting bid of $1k or less. Putting a high starting bid (like $5k) might just result in no bidding and therefore no information is gained! The $75k reserve should cover rare AA’s (like a panel delivery, service car, ambulance, express, etc.). Normally thou, AA’ers with a rare AA have a good idea on its value.

I think that this is the best way to figure out if your asking price is close to what buyers will pay! You will need to post lots of informative pictures with your Ebay ad. Bidders will not bid much for something they can not see in detail!
Regards, Neil Wilson
dyoungs

Post by dyoungs »

Neil,
Thanks for the info.

The truck is pretty much like it was when we got it. It has a rebuilt engine and new wood on the deck. I had all the brakes redone as the old pads still had the origanal Ford emblem on them when we took them off. I will get more pictures out there as soon as I can.
Dave
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

Dave, here is a link to some completed Ebay auctions....http://motors.completed.shop.ebay.com/C ... =&_vxp=mtr
Notice five auctions of three trucks and none sold. The first one may have sold off line as the bids were cancelled.
The second one they lowered the price $5500 and still no sale.

Bob
Rob MacDonald
Model Year: 1928

Post by Rob MacDonald »

Rule One of Economics is that "the value of an object is whatever someone is prepared to pay for it" (and is therefore entirely subjective)

Therefore the aim is to bring this vehicle to the attention of that person who wants it enough, and then (because this is a luxury purchase) to hold that person's attention long enough for the heart to over-rule the head.

'More photos' are definitely called for - 'detail shots' that allow the viewer to discover the details that he might otherwise have to ask questions about (any effort required of the potential customer - such as drafting and sending messages - has the potential to diminish the chance of a sale, and observations/conclusions reached independantly tend to increase the customers' commitment)

The calendar is also a factor: the market is 'down' in the Christmas and tax seasons, but climbs again as the weather improves with the chance to drive the thing on dry roads and clear skies.

D*mmit - I'm talking myself into buying this, even though it's at the wrong end of the country.... :oops:
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

Rob MacDonald wrote:Rule One of Economics is that "the value of an object is whatever someone is prepared to pay for it" (and is therefore entirely subjective)

Therefore the aim is to bring this vehicle to the attention of that person who wants it enough, and then (because this is a luxury purchase) to hold that person's attention long enough for the heart to over-rule the head.

'More photos' are definitely called for - 'detail shots' that allow the viewer to discover the details that he might otherwise have to ask questions about (any effort required of the potential customer - such as drafting and sending messages - has the potential to diminish the chance of a sale, and observations/conclusions reached independantly tend to increase the customers' commitment)

The calendar is also a factor: the market is 'down' in the Christmas and tax seasons, but climbs again as the weather improves with the chance to drive the thing on dry roads and clear skies.

D*mmit - I'm talking myself into buying this, even though it's at the wrong end of the country.... :oops:
Haha all good points. Market is down in the before April 14th tax season but once those refund checks start coming back out people have money to burn. But yes the most important rule is pictures pictures and more pictures. Since not all of your potential buyers are from a few blocks away people get skeptical and hesitant about driving 1, 3, 5, 10+ hours to buy a car with very limited pictures and get very irritated when it isnt up to what they think they saw in the pictures.

Detail shots are very nice especially in the rust prone or leak prone areas/items. Also in the nooks and crannies if it looks nice in the areas where people normally wouldn't see then the buyers can feel good assuming the restorer took their time to restore it right - not just slap a good coat of paint on it and forget the undersides/backsides of things.
dyoungs

Post by dyoungs »

OK guys, now that the holiday rush is over, what are the areas that I should take pictures of???? The only spot that has some rust on it is the driver side under the radiator mount. I will get a photo of that but what else should I get? I will get the engine area and the axles front and back. Any feed back would be great.....
Dave
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

Follow this link to Ebay http://motors.completed.shop.ebay.com/C ... =&_vxp=mtr , go to the auctions and look at the picture these guy posted to get an idea.

Bob
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake

Post by Shorthaul »

Dave, don't get discouraged, nothing sells on this forum.
dyoungs

Post by dyoungs »

New pictures:
Attachments
IMG_2242.JPG
IMG_2242.JPG (60.35 KiB) Viewed 7737 times
IMG_2241.JPG
IMG_2241.JPG (69.79 KiB) Viewed 7737 times
IMG_2240.JPG