dual high rear ring bracket

Here you can put your AA parts for sale, and wanted posts.
RustydoubleA
Body Type: express
Model Year: 1930

dual high rear ring bracket

Post by RustydoubleA »

Hi, I am looking for the dual high rear ring bracket so that I can install the dual high transmission in my doodlebug. Slower is better! I have the 4-speed bearing retainer with the special x-joint and as well as a well worn underdrive transmission, all I need is the ring bracket and maybe a shifter pedal. Steve.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Re: dual high rear ring bracket

Post by spectria »

RustydoubleA wrote:Hi, I am looking for the dual high rear ring bracket so that I can install the dual high transmission in my doodlebug. Slower is better! I have the 4-speed bearing retainer with the special x-joint and as well as a well worn underdrive transmission, all I need is the ring bracket and maybe a shifter pedal. Steve.
Welcome to the AA forum! Good Luck Hunting!
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr

Post by Bob C »

What is a ring bracket?

Bob
RustydoubleA

Post by RustydoubleA »

THE RING BRACKET, as I refer to it as, is a winged device with a two inch barrel in the center having dogs inside the barrel or ring. It is bolted to the rear of the #3 crossmember. The rear of the hi/low transmission slides into this ring (having dogs) to mate to the dogs on the rear of the transmission. The driveshaft bell and clamshell then bolt to the ring bracket and crossmember. The dogs on the bracket mating to the trans prevent the trans from spinning when torque is applied from the engine. I have one out of a truck and will try and send a picture of it to someone who has a program that can post it on this web. I need another one for my doodlebug. I could make one but I have time to hunt for one. Thanks, Steve.
spectria

Post by spectria »

RustydoubleA wrote:THE RING BRACKET, as I refer to it as, is a winged device with a two inch barrel in the center having dogs inside the barrel or ring. It is bolted to the rear of the #3 crossmember. The rear of the hi/low transmission slides into this ring (having dogs) to mate to the dogs on the rear of the transmission. The driveshaft bell and clamshell then bolt to the ring bracket and crossmember. The dogs on the bracket mating to the trans prevent the trans from spinning when torque is applied from the engine. I have one out of a truck and will try and send a picture of it to someone who has a program that can post it on this web. I need another one for my doodlebug. I could make one but I have time to hunt for one. Thanks, Steve.
Steve,
Sent you an email...
RustydoubleA

Post by RustydoubleA »

Hi Dave in Quincy, I am in Grass Valley. Computers are frustrating for me. I saw your email to me once, but could not find it again. I figured out how to post pictures though, thanks for offering to help me. I will post a picture of the dual high ring bracket with this message. Steve.
Attachments
ringbracket.jpg
ringbracket.jpg (232.14 KiB) Viewed 6736 times
RustydoubleA

dual high ring bracket for this truck

Post by RustydoubleA »

If anybody is interested in "transformed" AAs this is what I will use the dual high trans bracket for. It is a cut down 31 AA. I have been adding stuff; 31 fenders, 28 cab, 1920s Manley Crane, gin pole up front, Dodge M-37 fenders on the rear, cut down 29 rims from WWII on the front, 9.00 - 20 non directional tires with "custom" rims on the rear, engine driven air compressor, many hand operated winches. I use it to pull engines and to move stuff around with. AAs have heavy parts! The intermediate drive shaft was engineered very poorly and one 3/8 bolt ties the female front to the male rear. I have sheared the bolt several times. I was going to replace it with splined shafts from something else, but now I have a dual high transmission to put in it, and now the need for a bracket. I could make one but with so many things to do............ By the way, are AA doodlebugs welcome on this forum? Steve.
Attachments
doodlebug.jpg
doodlebug.jpg (361.36 KiB) Viewed 6736 times
spectria

Re: dual high ring bracket for this truck

Post by spectria »

RustydoubleA wrote:If anybody is interested in "transformed" AAs this is what I will use the dual high trans bracket for. It is a cut down 31 AA. I have been adding stuff; 31 fenders, 28 cab, 1920s Manley Crane, gin pole up front, Dodge M-37 fenders on the rear, cut down 29 rims from WWII on the front, 9.00 - 20 non directional tires with "custom" rims on the rear, engine driven air compressor, many hand operated winches. I use it to pull engines and to move stuff around with. AAs have heavy parts! The intermediate drive shaft was engineered very poorly and one 3/8 bolt ties the female front to the male rear. I have sheared the bolt several times. I was going to replace it with splined shafts from something else, but now I have a dual high transmission to put in it, and now the need for a bracket. I could make one but with so many things to do............ By the way, are AA doodlebugs welcome on this forum? Steve.
I personally like creativity, but then I would never chop or cut up a drivable or restorable A or AA, I would get it to someone who could do the work, and trade for a doodlebug if I wanted one.
I think some on here are strongly against chopping good metal... But you are very welcome here.
RustydoubleA

Post by RustydoubleA »

Hi Dave, I bought the already chopped doodlebug chassis for $200 and then made a "truck" out of it with old rusty, trashed parts. Notice the holes in the door and lower cowl. The pillars had the tops cut off, and the stanchions had the bottoms cut off, so I made a transition piece. The w/s frame is off of some unknown make so I cut and rewelded it to fit. The engine has a crack in the outer water jacket, but holds water, the transmission was full of water when I got it and I drained, flushed and refilled with 50% 140w and 50% Hyperlube, it is still noisy, I do not want to use good AA transmission parts to correct the noise. It was missing all of the brakes so I had to scrounge around for the rear AA brakes, I have lots of Model A brake parts for the front. The rear wheels/tires came with a modified power wagon I bought from a farmer, the the WWII modified front wheels are useless on a car. The front fenders were torn and folded in half, I straightened them out, welded he cracks, but rust holes still exist on the downward slide to running boards. The running board aprons were from a 30 car with the running boards cut off, so I mounted them and welded pieces of diamond plate for running boards. And, it is a good place to store the Manley Crane until I figure out what to do with it. I would NEVER cut up something good (frame, axles,etc) to make this. In fact, my heart aches whenever I see a rat rod! The underdrive transmission that I will install has planetary teeth that are worn to half the original thickness, great for 2 mph but useless for a real truck. I recycle everything! You must have a pile of trashed parts behind your shop, just imagine of what you could assemble with all of your trashed parts? Plus, I make mistakes and learn on this "thing" which makes restoring a real truck much easier. Thanks for being concerned. Steve.
spectria

Post by spectria »

RustydoubleA wrote:Hi Dave, I bought the already chopped doodlebug chassis for $200 and then made a "truck" out of it with old rusty, trashed parts....
...... I would NEVER cut up something good (frame, axles,etc) to make this. In fact, my heart aches whenever I see a rat rod! ... Thanks for being concerned. Steve.
Steve, you fit right in here!!!!!!!!
Brilliant use of scavenged parts, reminds me of Mad Max and that short lived tv show based in England about junking together "Bits" (my favorite word now).
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

Very cool! I must say im not a fan of cutting up good restorable trucks but if its damaged or majority of it is well beyond repair id rather them get turned into doodlebugs or their junk parts get put on doodlebugs and out of the scrap yards!

Love the creativity and willingness to save some of these otherwise scrap parts! I feel by the time im "done" restoring my aa ill have enough leftover rusted out parts to build a few doodlebugs!
Ford Truck Nut
Model Year: 1928

Post by Ford Truck Nut »

i have one, Email me if you still need it
John
"Bear Down, try Hard, and never quit, NEVER"
Tuff Headman