front shackles

Here you can put your AA parts for sale, and wanted posts.
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform
Model Year: 1931

front shackles

Post by rollingsculpture »

are the front AA truck shackles heavier or bigger than the ones for the A vehicles?
one of mine is broken do i need to replace both?
E.Moore
Model Year: 1930

Re: front shackles

Post by E.Moore »

They are the same exact shackles as the rear passenger car shackles. Shackles wear at points of contact with the steel bushings that are pressed into the spring eyes.

Clean you old shackles and examine the barrels on the shackles for excessive wear against the bushings. If your unbroken shackle shows no, or very little wear, it should be able to be reused.

Clean the grease passages and hand fit new bushings over the old shackle. If there is a lot of play, then the shackle is worn past the point of reuse. The bushing and the shackles should have a close fit.

The steel bushing in the spring needs to be replaced when new shackles are installed.

Neil, Thanks for your reminder. I sometimes forget about the 28/29. I'm so used to working on the 30/31's. These forums can keep one humble.
Last edited by E.Moore on April 10th, 2009, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

28/29 AA's use A front shackles. 30/31 AA's use A rear shackles.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by John - NNY »

I ordered a pair of shackles for the front of my late 1930 AA from a popular supplier. The shackle to bushing fit was very sloppy even without the bushing being pressed in. The supplier told me the bushing would shrink when it was pressed in. BS, there was about .050 play between them. I am waiting to see how bad mine are to see if they can be reused. In the mean time, I am also looking for an NOS set. Anyone have any leads?

John
NNY