spare tire parts, early 28

Here you can put your AA parts for sale, and wanted posts.
bert
Model Year: 1930

spare tire parts, early 28

Post by bert »

Would someone have PN AA-1470-AR, sitting around collecting dust? last piece I need for hanging the spare. Have everything else. Its the bolt and nut that clamps the tire rack to the bed.Opposite the hinge end. Thanks a bunch.----bert, fl.
legrandaa
Body Type: 82B

Re: spare tire parts, early 28

Post by legrandaa »

Hi Bert,

Can you post a drawing or photo of what you need? I have an extra spare tire hanger but not sure what year.

Larry
legrandaa
Le Grand, CA
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Is your truck really "early"? Early = through April 1928.

Through about August, '28 AA's (if original) have wheel lug nuts which are 15/16" hex. Consequently, the wheel carrier rear hinge and bolt assembly (AA-1470) would have had a jam nut which is 15/16" hex.

Many '28 AA's went through a Ford spindle conversion which resulted in the wheel lug nuts being 1-1/8" hex.

So, what is the hex. size of your wheel lug nuts? How many rivet holes are in your platform rear cross member for installing the rear hinge and bolt assembly (2 or 4)?

Once it is determined which style of rear hinge and bolt assembly you need, then maybe someone will have what you need.

The '28 AA's are just not an easy year to id parts!
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by bert »

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, Thanks Neil. You Just reminded me that I got my spare tire frame from a 29 and I also used the rear crossmember w/hinge. My 28 never made the changover of the first brake system. Has a 3 speed w/ under drive. Could never discover Ser.# and it has a replacment motor. I'm using the "spare" hanger from the 29 as it looks identicle to PN AA-1461-br.The lug nuts I have are1-1/8 across the flats and look like AA-1120-ar. I'm in need of a few of these. Wires are good W/ caps. Very, Very,--- hard--- to find them.I removed the chassis from the 29 just ahead of the rear crossmember and married it to the 28 frame after cutting the same off that. Someone had torched off about a foot of the 28 chassis and the crossmember looked like a few logs were chained to it. These trucks were great for pulling dead weight but sometimes you needed to get a running start to get the log going. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.----bert, fl. PS, just reread your questions. Tha hinge is mounted with two rivits. The spare carrier has two pilot bolts with a taper to start. No jam Nuts. I haven't gotten to that grade in my limited educatiom, to post a picture or make a drawing. Even the grand daughter can't help.---bert, fl.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Okay, since your ’28 AA had a #4 chassis rear cross member (which you replaced with the ’29 frame parts), then your AA is not early ’28. The early ’28 AA’s did not have a #4 chassis rear cross member. I have yet to find a ’28 AA without a left hand brake. And, Bud Valerius just got a Jan. ’29 AA with the left hand brake. So, the brake system does nothing to ID a ’28 AA build date.

You must be looking at a parts list which is after ’29. A parts list close to the date of your truck would show the correct part numbers with out the “R” suffix.

Part number AA-1120 is the right hand lug nut used on the ’29 AA’s after about mid February. If your lug nuts are all right hand and don’t have “R” stamped on the tops, then they are actually A-21922-B. So, are all of your lug nuts right hand??? Or, do you have both right and left hand lug nuts?

Since your truck has 1-1/8” hex. nuts, then you would want a wheel carrier rear hinge and bolt with a jam nut with a 1-1/8” hex. This means that one wrench is used to change a wheel. This will mean that you will need to get a late ’28 through ’29 rear hinge. These will be attached to the platform rear cross member with four rivets rather than two.

Below is a drawing of the wheel carrier setup which I think you need.
Attachments
x088A Carrier-28-29.jpg
x088A Carrier-28-29.jpg (52.42 KiB) Viewed 4232 times
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by bert »

Neil, I'm going to move over to the discussion site instead of thking this space on the buy and sell.Have a few more questions.Hope you don't mind.----bert, fl.