'30 AA rear shackle bolts needed

Here you can put your AA parts for sale, and wanted posts.
russ
Body Type: 82a
Model Year: 1930

'30 AA rear shackle bolts needed

Post by russ »

A fresh pair of repop rear spring shackle bolts is what i'm needin'. Truck is a '30 AA.
Thanks, best, russ
Everybody likes pics.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Re: '30 AA rear shackle bolts needed

Post by Neil Wilson »

I see that the Mac's catalog lists shackle bolts ($40.70 each). I am guessing that you have checked with the various vendors and then do not have any in stock.

An AA'er contacted me and indicated that he used 3/4 grade 8 bolts and steel tube of the correct ID and 1" OD to make up shackle bolts. I would think that the bolt heads could be sanded down to eliminate the markings to make a more original look. There must be a good way to drill the cotter pin hole. Maybe someone can explain an accurate way to drill a hole through round stock - anyone know???? I have not figured this procedure out!

At $40.70 each, the above may be very cost effective.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82a

Post by russ »

Ingenious, but i guess i'll wait for the proper bolts.
Everybody likes pics.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

[quote="...There must be a good way to drill the cotter pin hole. Maybe someone can explain an accurate way to drill a hole through round stock - anyone know???? I have not figured this procedure out! At $40.70 each, the above may be very cost effective.[/quote]

Neil,

If you are attempting to drill through a threaded end for a cotter pin, I have done this 2 ways.

With bolt held firmly in a vise in soft jaws, I mark the spot, mount in drill press, and use a pointed Carbide burr to start in the threads.

If everything is clamped hard down, you will get a perfect start, it will appear as a Punch mark. make certain to go just deep enough to clear threads.

Then put in your desired drill size. and drill through... Use lots of lube.

You may want to reverse bolt to chamfer the exit hole as well.

The other way is just to use the above setup, without chamfering the hole with the burr first...

This usually results in broken bits if you aren't really patient and slow.

I like the chamfer from the pointed burr.

If you really meant unthreaded round stock, use same method above, but just use a sharp punch to mark your hole first.
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Thank you spectria,
I am saving your information so I can reference it. Thanks muchly.

I seem to have a problem with the first step - mark the point. Is there an accurate method at marking the center line of the bolt other than just using measurements?
Regards, Neil Wilson
spectria

Post by spectria »

Neil Wilson wrote:Thank you spectria,
I am saving your information so I can reference it. Thanks muchly.

I seem to have a problem with the first step - mark the point. Is there an accurate method at marking the center line of the bolt other than just using measurements?
I just do it by eye, but you could screw on the castle nut and mark the holes. Or if round stock, get a bigger nut that slides over the stock, it'll be close enough for government work ;)
E.Moore

Post by E.Moore »

The easiest method for me is to simply lock two nuts together on the thread. Use a punch to locate the position for the hole and dril through the nut and the bolt. Remove the nuts and use a debur to chamfer the hole edge. This method keeps the drill bit from walking and breaking.
macswoods
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by macswoods »

:?
Last edited by macswoods on August 13th, 2009, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

If you have a drill press this way is easy on all size bolts. Take a 1/4" plate 5"x 5" or what have you, cut 3 pieces of 1/8" by 1" angle iron 3" long, then place the 3 pieces of angle iron on 1/4" plate (i'll use two A's and a V to show what it will look like). Place the the angle to look like this ( AVA ) the 2 As are angles face down the V is face up. Slide the 3 pieces of angle together, square up the angles, then clamp to hold in place on 1/4" plate , check to make sure it is square on the 1/4" plate, check again for square. Then weld all together 3 angles and 1/4" plate. Try to find the center by measuring clamp the jig you made to your drill press table. use a round stock, any size will do, use a 1/8"drill to drill through stock 3/8" stock may be better clamp or hand hold stock in angle jig. drill through stock at this point only, turn off drill, rotate stock 180 degrees, WITH DRILL OFF,lower the drill bite through the hole, if it passes through with out moving the stock, you are lucky, on the other hand its ok, adjust your measurements, drill a new hole and repeat the above til it lines up perfect. you can use a 1/4" bite also. after you get it lined up drill a 1/4" hole through your jig. from now on you can use this hole to line up the jig to be centered everytime with out guess work. Remember to clamp jig when lining up the hole! GOOD LUCK! Shelby, Louisiana.
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

One other thing about the above jig you can use a bolt or a clevis pin with pin hole already drilled using the right drill bit to line up your jig on your drill press! Shelby, Louisiana.
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Thank you Shelby,
I am going to study your information. I may have some questions later.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Neil, On the jig I mentioned above It works great on 3/8" round stock. But you will have a problem with 5/16" and smaller. Use two lengths 3" 1"x1" x 1/8" angle weld to 1/4" flat stock with angle flush to the edge for head of bolt or pin to clear then weld to a larger 1/4" plate to clamp to the drill press. Drill and aline the same as above. Hope this will help everyone in centering a hole through a round stock. Shelby, Louisiana.
spectria

Post by spectria »

SHELBY MESSER wrote:Neil, On the jig I mentioned above It works great on 3/8" round stock. But you will have a problem with 5/16" and smaller. Use two lengths 3" 1"x1" x 1/8" angle weld to 1/4" flat stock with angle flush to the edge for head of bolt or pin to clear then weld to a larger 1/4" plate to clamp to the drill press. Drill and aline the same as above. Hope this will help everyone in centering a hole through a round stock. Shelby, Louisiana.
Any chance you could post some pics of this JIG?

It sounds great, but you know the old saying...
Last edited by spectria on September 11th, 2009, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake

Post by Shorthaul »

Clamp the piece to be drilled in a drill vice, use the edge of a file to file a small flat across the threads of the bolt, eyeball and center punch the flat. Use a small center drill to start hole, remove center drill and drill correct size hole. Countersink to hide the flat.
SHELBY MESSER

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Shorthaul, That will work but not guarantee to be centered in your round stock . The jig is centered every time when alined clamped and drilled. I"ve been there. The jig does work I'll try to post a simple picture of this jig, which is simple to make IN the AA Ford Discussion Page! Shelby. Louisiana.