31 Modeal AA chassis questions

Here you can put your AA parts for sale, and wanted posts.
scl009
Model Year: 1931

31 Modeal AA chassis questions

Post by scl009 »

I'm new at all of this, really should say I haven't even started, and just got of college a year ago. Always been drawn to the A and AA.

I've decided to jump in and found what is suppose to be a 1931 Ford Model AA with the 157" wheel base. Its just a roller (frame, suspension, mechanical breaks, and wheels) plus some horrible looking fenders. The frame does look straight and relatively solid from the pics. The guy is asking $400.

I guess I have two questions. First is the a reasonable deal? (I feel like it is, as I live in new orleans LA and this is the closest chassis/project truck I have been able to find in the past couple of years within 600 miles)

Second how do I know for sure this is an AA chassis, where will the frame stamp be, and what numbers should I be looking for? Obviously I can measure the wheel base, but I've read a few different articles which all had different overall lengths of the frame. I've read it was 181" and 188". Which one is it or neither?

Any help would be appreciated and sorry for the ignorance.

Scott

A little more back ground: I am pretty patient and realize that a project of this undertaking could take me 15 years, but as long as I can keep my hands busy I am fine with that.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: 31 Modeal AA chassis questions

Post by Neil Wilson »

The original engine ID was stamped on the top of the left frame rail about where the brake/clutch peddal are. For 1931 the ID would be AA followed by a number in the four million range.

Assuming that the wheels are good, then the $400 price seems good to me.

Sorry, I don't find my information about the frame length. Note that pictures/words are much easier to work with than just words.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Model Year: 1930

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Scott:

I just measured the length of my early '31 Long Wheel Base (157") frame. It's 211" long. That's over 17 1/2 feet! When you put a bed on it and a front bumper, it gets longer. If I ever get to the point that I get the cab back onto mine, I'm not sure that it will go under the top of the garage door. That's another consideration.

Go for it! You'll figure it all out. Lots of fun!
-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
scl009
Model Year: 1931

Post by scl009 »

I realized I had poster this in the wrong section. I tried to delet it but was unsuccesful. I posted the exact same topic in the discussion forum and got a lot of replies. Everyone has been really helpful.

If you want to take a look at the fram, the pictures are there also.
Tanks guys,

Scott