EARLY AA TRUCK WORM DRIVE REAR $20.00

Here you can put your AA parts for sale, and wanted posts.
oldtinpusher
Model Year: 1930

EARLY AA TRUCK WORM DRIVE REAR $20.00

Post by oldtinpusher »

THAT'S RIGHT 20.00 DOLLARS. YOU MOVE, I'LL HELP LOAD. LOCATED IN UPSTATE NEW YORK. NEED TO MOVE BEFORE WINTER OR IT GETS SCRAPPED :(
Jared275
Body Type: dUMP
Model Year: 1928

Re: EARLY AA TRUCK WORM DRIVE REAR $20.00

Post by Jared275 »

Good deal, there's the axle half I was looking for and close.... :D
Brady
Body Type: None

Post by Brady »

Hello Mark:

I gotta say that is about the best deal I've heard of for an AA worm drive. I really tried to get the club members interested in it, but none of 'em wanted to travel that far to get it. I've got two; a late TT and one early 28 with wire wheels. I would like to find a late 29 with working brakes and the low gear ratio. Neil says the early 28 had the high speed ratio. Good luck, and have a great Thanksgiving.
Frank

P.s. Good luck Jared- changing the axle. I hope it all works out good.
Jared275

Post by Jared275 »

Brady,
Do you have any pics of the rear axle and backing plates on you 28 worm? I'm curious to see if there are any external differences between the two so that I can see if the one in NY is a 28 or 29.
Best Regards,
Jared
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

I have yet to see a '28 AA which didn't have the hand brake lever on the left. This means that the rear axle has no emergency brakes. The axles and housings on these units are not interchangable with the axle which has emergency brake bands.

Ford offered only the high speed axle gears and the optional dual high (under drive) to start. Sometime in '28, the low speed axle gears became available. I don't know when. The attached picture shows a May '28 rear axle with high speed gears. It does not have the "B" stamping to identify it as a high speed. So, I am guessing that it was after May when the low speed was offered and Ford started stamping the "A" (low) and "B" (high) ratios.

Note in the picture that the backing plates for the axle without emergency brake bands is like the "A" backing plate and the drums are only about 4" wide.
Attachments
xAA144040 - May '28 10.jpg
xAA144040 - May '28 10.jpg (78.33 KiB) Viewed 4631 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
Brady
Body Type: None

Post by Brady »

Hello Jared:
It's a shot in the dark, not a walk in the park for me to take photos and then try to get them from the bucket to the site... The early '28 axle that I have is just like Neil's last photo. The axle housing is stamped TT- pretty early, so it would have the higer ratio. I got the whole thing as a sad shape doodlebug. It had the underdrive in back of a 4 speed. The frame is good, but the front axle sat down in the mud for many years, and is very much shot. It is one of 8 doodlebugs, and is now taking a long winter nap- completely disassembled.

Stay in touch, and let us know how the axle change is working out for you. Mark is a good guy to offer such parts. He has gone out of his way to help me and our Franklin Doodlebug Club members out. Good luck, FB
Jared275

Post by Jared275 »

Neil,
Thank you for the input on the worm drive it is very helpful and much appreciated.

Brady,
Thanks for the info on the axle. Sounds like you have quite the collection, how do you get the wife to go along with it? Also, your in my neck of the woods so I thought I would throw out that there is a swap meet down in Thompson, CT this weekend at the thompson speedway. Runs sat and sun, there are usaully some pretty good finds.

Regards,
Jared