'29 AA Express - Auction 1/21/10 in Florida

Here you can put your AA parts for sale, and wanted posts.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

'29 AA Express - Auction 1/21/10 in Florida

Post by Neil Wilson »

Found an auction in Florida. It has several AA trucks (+ others). Go to http://www.higgenbotham.com/ac/ and scroll down the pictures. There is a ’29 AA express (see picture below).
Attachments
313.jpg
313.jpg (86.33 KiB) Viewed 7497 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform
Model Year: 1931

Re: '29 AA Express - Auction 1/21/10 in Florida

Post by rollingsculpture »

whos going? thats a real LOT of trucks ,that man must have a heck of a stash of parts as well with that many vehicles , glad to see the red TT truck in there i am looking at one of those for the next project there is one here close to my house and the owner will part with it this spring .
Attachments
320.jpg
320.jpg (27.33 KiB) Viewed 7462 times
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

I received an e-mail from an AA'er that attended the auction. It sold for $7500. He sent some pictures and indicated that the bed had a fair amount of rust out where the sides curve under the floor. This is the normal location for rust out because the wood floor and wood sills hold the moisture. The truck was very complete with rear fenders, fender spacers, wheel carrier, and bed mounting hardware.
Attachments
xIMG_0700.jpg
xIMG_0700.jpg (93.8 KiB) Viewed 7336 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1928

Post by flatford39 »

Neil,

Thanks for the up date on the express truck. That's a pretty good price for something that would need a total tear down and rebuild but it looks like most of the hard to find parts are on it.
Roy Williams
Model Year: 1929

Post by Roy Williams »

Does anyone have a spare tire carrier for the express bed they would be willing to part with?
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hello Roy,
There were several designes of 89-A Express spare wheel carriers - er/28, 28/29, 29, and 30.
The first two are body mounted and the last two are frame mounted. The '29 express above has the 28/29 design carrier based on what I can see.

Which design carrier are you looking for?
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Roy Williams »

Well I'm not sure! I saw this truck and it looks exactly like mine. The spare tire carrier on my truck is under the rear part of the bed and attaching to the non stock back bumper. Some day I would like to be original and threw the question out but obviously didn't do my research.

I have not removed the cab but think my truck is mid 29. I thought I was lookig for the bed mount illustration #2 in the April 2004 Double A'ER but now think I'm looking for the frame mount version #4 89A Express Feb29 - Dec29. I looked at my frame and it has the holes in the frame that appear to be like version #4 but theres no hole in the splash apron.

Now I think I have a frame mount carrier truck with the earlier bed mounted carrier aprons. does that sound like a reasonable assumption?

as always, Thanks Neil.
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hello Roy,
All 89-A express trucks (start of production through end of 1930) came with a side wheel carrier (different designs). The under body carrier on your truck is an add-on.

Until getting my April '29 Express and seeing the Florida auction express (also a ’29), I had believed that any express with '29 AA wheels would have been provided with the frame mounted carrier. This would have been starting February 1929.

However, this is not correct based on what I now see on original looking trucks. So, the usage date for the version 2 carrier (in the 2004 newsletter article) should be extended further into 1929 (at least April and maybe later).

Budd Manufacturing (the manufacturer of the 89-A) must have used up the body mounted (design 2), side wheel carrier into '29.

The 89-A which I acquired last year is an April '29 truck and appears to be very original. It has the design 2 body mounted carrier (see attached picture). It also has a frame with the holes for the frame mounted carrier along with a splash apron without the hole for the frame mounted carrier support.

Also, the frame has a apron to frame bracket at the location where the frame mounted carrier would be bolted (see attached picture). This bracket is not used when the frame mounted carrier is installed.

If your truck has this apron to frame bracket, then that is an indication that your truck originally had the body mounted carrier. Also, there would be a number of holes in the side of the express body where the carrier would have be attached (with rivets).
Attachments
xIMG_6151.jpg
xIMG_6151.jpg (61.95 KiB) Viewed 7181 times
x89-A 4-29 Frame c .jpg
x89-A 4-29 Frame c .jpg (87.13 KiB) Viewed 7181 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
miner art
Body Type: AA flt.BD.82a

Post by miner art »

WOW!!,what a great auction,also,the great photo's,but next time let us know earlier,"But don't tell my wife!!!!
Thank's, ART :D
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Roy,
I have an extra design 2 wheel carrier for the 89-A to sell if you determine that is what you need. It needs a fair amount of work and will not be cheap!
Regards, Neil Wilson
carrotman08
Body Type: heap of junk

Post by carrotman08 »

wow i never seen this, dose anyone know what they sold for. where were they in Florida
vtwinsideways
Body Type: 82-A, 88-A

Post by vtwinsideways »

Neil Wilson wrote:I received an e-mail from an AA'er that attended the auction. It sold for $7500. He sent some pictures and indicated that the bed had a fair amount of rust out where the sides curve under the floor. This is the normal location for rust out because the wood floor and wood sills hold the moisture. The truck was very complete with rear fenders, fender spacers, wheel carrier, and bed mounting hardware.
"I get all my exercise jumping to conclusions."
Luke in Illinois