Wanted: Front Leaf Spring for 1930 AA Ford

Here you can put your AA parts for sale, and wanted posts.
cowboysairranch
Body Type: Truck
Model Year: 1930

Wanted: Front Leaf Spring for 1930 AA Ford

Post by cowboysairranch »

We are looking for a good used front leaf spring for a Model AA, year 1930 truck. My auto class acquired this truck frame and partial cab, and my students are reworking this truck as a project. Must be reasonable priced as school shop funds are limited. Can post here or through school Email at kwiniarski@satc.houlton.k12.me.us or both. Thanks for the consideration.
russ
Body Type: 82a

Re: Wanted: Front Leaf Spring for 1930 AA Ford

Post by russ »

Howdy cowboysairranch, do you presently have any part of the front spring? If you can use some replacement leaves instead of the whole pack, i might have the ones you need.
When i rebuilt my springs (front and rears) i found some leaves to be cracked at the thru-bolt hole. I suspect lots of leaf packs out there are the same way.
Anyhow, i might be holding leaves you can use. Give me a holler if you want to check on them. They're yours for shipping.
Everybody likes pics.
cowboysairranch

Howdy Russ,

It looks like the 3 longest leafs are broken missing pieces including the main eyed leaf. So, I need a complete stack. I Emailed a seller on Ebay selling the rear end for the AA, and he will be listing a front spring assembly soon. But thanks for the offer. We may still need to take advantage of your generous offer. My students are itching to get to this project, but I have to line up parts before we take up the space in the shop. I teach High School automotive in Northern Maine and besides learning mostly modern autos, I believe students have to know basics (Old School) workings. Will try to post some photos when we gat started. Thanks Again.
Bill James
Body Type: 82A

Post by Bill James »

Hey Cowboy, I'm driving out to northern California to get a pickup load of 1929 AA parts, will be back in VA mid may, at least thats the plan. I bought the truck mostly for the wheels, but there are lots of parts including front springs. I paid $100 for the front springs I have on my 1930, so if your still looking by then let me know. I don't know just what other parts I will have, but plan on e-baying what I don't need, but would be willing to help you out if I can. Sure wish I had a shop teacher like you when I was in High School, I learned more in 12 weeks of Navy "A" school than I did in 4 years of CA public school. Bill James
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

Bill James wrote:Hey Cowboy, I'm driving out to northern California to get a pickup load of 1929 AA parts, will be back in VA mid may, at least thats the plan. I bought the truck mostly for the wheels, but there are lots of parts including front springs. I paid $100 for the front springs I have on my 1930, so if your still looking by then let me know. I don't know just what other parts I will have, but plan on e-baying what I don't need, but would be willing to help you out if I can. Sure wish I had a shop teacher like you when I was in High School, I learned more in 12 weeks of Navy "A" school than I did in 4 years of CA public school. Bill James
Hello Bill, I live in Northern California, in Sonoma County, and Have 2 AA's that also need parts.
1)Can I do anything to help you/save you the trip?
2)Are there any parts in your load that you won't need?

Maybe I can help you and you could help me?
Thanks.
Dave
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

cowboysairranch wrote:We are looking for a good used front leaf spring for a Model AA, year 1930 truck. My auto class acquired this truck frame and partial cab, and my students are reworking this truck as a project. Must be reasonable priced as school shop funds are limited. Can post here or through school Email at kwiniarski@satc.houlton.k12.me.us or both. Thanks for the consideration.
I'll be looking for those springs for you in my travels, and I am sure I know exactly how your kids are feeling about getting going on that project.

I'm hoping you're doing a restore rather than a hotrod, but any project to teach high schoolers the trade is the best thing ever.

I started my first career (Auto Tech) in high school with Mr. Crawford at Lynbrook High In San Jose, Ca. The School was brand new in 1965 when I started there, and I had 2 auto shop classes every day for Jr and senior years, then went on to De Anza JC in Cupertino and got my AA in Auto Tech. I will never forget, nor ever be able to thank My beloved auto shop teachers enough... SO THANK YOU SIR, FOR WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!!!!

They closed down the Auto Program there some time ago as they have in many Secondary schools around the country, which is surely shooting themselves in the foot, as here in Northern California, a fully trained and certified Tech can make a $100,000.00 (yes, that's $100K!!!) a year

I am semi Retired after running or owning an auto repair shop for 30 years, and now I just keep my kids cars going and Handyman in my spare time, trying to squeeze out funds to keep my AA projects moving forward...

Thank you again for what you are doing, and the people on this board will probably be the ones to help you with what you need, EH GUYS?
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
cowboysairranch

Howdy,...

My students are getting anxious, and they are moving ahead. But this is, sorry to say not a original restoration, rather a modification/restoration. I hope this picture comes with this posting. As you can see, it is rough to say the least. We are putting in a V8 Flathead due to we don't have an original engine. The rear end is being changed to a modern type to make it streetable. Keeping original suspension and body (Whats left of it).

The students are rebuilding stuff as we get it (Sandblasting, fixing, painting, etc) so it will be a big assembly job from the ground up. I know, I know. We should keep it all original, but there are none of these up here in Northern Maine. So, this is the best we can come up with. Anyway, I did purchase a front leaf spring down state (300 miles south), but it is really rough. It will get us a rolling chassis until we can secure a good one.

We are shooting to have the engine totally rebuilt by April break, and have the frame ready to accept the engine/transmission by then. Do the bodywork in May and have it a running and drivable chassis by end of school mid June. That's the plan, but there are always complications. They still have to follow the curriculum for modern repairs as our Automotive Shop is a actual learning facility, and not a hobby shop. Sometimes it gets hard to squeeze in stuff like this, but keeps the students interested, and shows them their potential.

You should see the look on my Directors face when he saw this in the shop, but he said so long as we meet the criteria for NATEF, and GST (General Service Technician), it is OK with him. Our students graduate with enough knowledge to take ASE testing when they graduate. But most students will not go onto work at a dealership like the state would like. This gives them a look at possible working in a restoration shop.

A lot of folks think automotive repairs is just changing parts, but the talent is in the rebuilding, and looking at a problem and figuring it out, not just relying on a "Scan Tool" and putting in sensors. I will post more pics as we go along. Maybe a project in the future will be a complete restoration (Stock) of an antique auto (Early Model A pickup, Sweet !!!),... hopefully.

Keep us in mind for a front leaf spring.

Maine Auto Teacher