1928 Model AA

Here you can put your AA parts for sale, and wanted posts.
mikeg
Site Admin
Body Type: 150B
Model Year: 1930

Re: 1928 Model AA

Post by mikeg »

Hey folks,

Yes this forum is generally very civil but as more members sign in and start getting involved the chance for differences of opinion and style 'clashes" increase. We are all adults here so I think issues can be resolved in a civil and productive manner. I have no desire to add "moderators" to curb discourse, we are a small group and can co-exist without someone else having to watch over the happenings here.

Chris is just very direct in his posting style, that is just who he is. I'm not picking on or defending Chris, that is just my observation.
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

No disrespect or arguing on my part. I was simply stating facts and my experience. Short sweet and to the point. :D
towtruck
Body Type: service car

Post by towtruck »

if it has a hook on it it must be a tow truck and a fine one at that
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

towtruck wrote:if it has a hook on it it must be a tow truck and a fine one at that

All I was saying is takes more than a hook. You can't control a vehicle that is hanging from a hook on a cable with nothing else.
vtwinsideways
Body Type: 82-A, 88-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by vtwinsideways »

Good looking tow truck sandman.
"I get all my exercise jumping to conclusions."
Luke in Illinois
oldtimetowing

Post by oldtimetowing »

Perhaps I can answer Chris's original question. YES, they did just pick a car up and let it hang out there. That's the reason many of the old tow truck had the tow cranes mounted way back over the rear axle and used either a winch or a block and tackle to raise the car to tow. Later as things became more efficent Manrly and Weaver both manufactured a device that grabbed the bumper/bumper brackets to lift the car and then used a "tow pole"to sort of stabilize the car while in tow. The hot set up was a set of towing "V-bars" from the E rnest Holmes Company which both spaced the car away from the truck and kept it from swaying from side to side.
The Homes V-bars were manufactured up into the early 50's. In the late 40's Holmes introduced the rubber strapped tow sligs that are still being used today. About the same time the "scobby plate" was introduced probably by by the Weld-bilt Body Co. The scobby plate worked well on early 50's cars that had heavy steel bumpers but were being phased out by the mid 50's because of damage complaints in favor of the rubber strap tow slings.

More information can be found at www.internationaltowingmuseum.org
Chris Haynes

Post by Chris Haynes »

I can see the car racing forward as the trucks brakes are applied. If it doesn't hit the truck the cable will surely damage the front of the car on the hook.
Sandman
Body Type: aa
Model Year: 1928

Post by Sandman »

Here is a picture of a Weaver Auto Ambulance Model C. It was used in conjunction with the tow truck. The truck was designed to lift the car and the dolly was placed under the axle and chained down. The dolly with the car on it were hooked onto the back of the tow truck and delivered to the shop. The car was then lifted off the dolly and the dolly was placed on the back of the tow truck until it was again needed. The dolly had solid wheels about 12" in diameter. I wish I could find one of these units, but If I can't, I plan on building one some day. Nice to see everyone looking at my toy. Too bad most people are too young to understand how they worked. Stay posted for my other project.
Sandman`

P3152489.JPG
P3152489.JPG (56.6 KiB) Viewed 7931 times
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

russ wrote:Nice tow truck Sandman. :)
Edited thanks to smarter folks than myself.
Best, russ
Damn It, I missed the good bit, how about sending me the unedited version, ole buddy? Use PM.

OK, just kidding, glad I missed it all, don't need the rise in BP, and a little steady sunshine would be good for all of us!
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
bud valerius

Post by bud valerius »

The model C Weaver auto ambulance came with the option of steel wheels or hard rubber wheels I have one of each i can send photos to your email address .Bud Valerius (economyelectrric@hotmail.com)
Shorthaul
Body Type: 186 stake

Post by Shorthaul »

Chris Haynes wrote:As someone who has been driving tow trucks since the '60's it amazes me when someone says they have a tow truck, when all they really have is a truck with a crane on the bed. Ihttp://tow411.yuku.com/topic/97763
What the hell does the 60s have to do with what was happening in the 20s. We had men walking on the moon in the 60s, let alone towing with a scoobie doo plate. In the 20s people were just looking at the man in the moon.

Maybe I'M just howling at the moon.
Last edited by Shorthaul on March 19th, 2011, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

Shorthaul wrote:
Chris Haynes wrote:As someone who has been driving tow trucks since the '60's it amazes me when someone says they have a tow truck, when all they really have is a truck with a crane on the bed. Ihttp://tow411.yuku.com/topic/97763
What does hell does the 60s have to do with what was happening in the 20s. We had men walking on the moon in the 60s, let alone towing with a scoobie doo plate. In the 20s people were just looking at the man in the moon.

Maybe I'M just howling at the moon.
Yep. you probably shoulda read the whole thread... It's Done!
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
popcorn-guy

Post by popcorn-guy »

I find it interesting that the editing was only done on one side of the issue. Preferential?
Reds34
Body Type: dump

Post by Reds34 »

Alan,

Russ edited it himself. That's why it was only edited on one side.

Red
popcorn-guy

Post by popcorn-guy »

Reds34 wrote:Alan,

Russ edited it himself. That's why it was only edited on one side.

Red

Thank you for the clarification.