1928 Model AA

Here you can put your AA parts for sale, and wanted posts.
Sandman
Body Type: aa
Model Year: 1928

1928 Model AA

Post by Sandman »

I have a 1928 Model AA Tow Truck complete with a Weaver wrecker. Asking $ 8750.00
I am located in Ontario, Canada. You can email me with questions at hlangen@zing-net.ca
I can send pictures over the email. Can't seem to get them on this site. Says files too big.
Harry Lipki
Body Type: AA Chassis

Re: 1928 Model AA with pictures

Post by Harry Lipki »

I managed to shrink down the pictures for sandman ... Here are the pictures of the truck ..... Not bad sandman
Attachments
P3072469-2.JPG
P3072469-2.JPG (41.4 KiB) Viewed 10948 times
P3072468-2.JPG
P3072468-2.JPG (30.26 KiB) Viewed 10948 times
P3082473-s.JPG
P3082473-s.JPG (42.61 KiB) Viewed 10948 times
Harry Lipki

Re: 1928 Model AA

Post by Harry Lipki »

Sandman wrote:I have a 1928 Model AA Tow Truck complete with a Weaver wrecker. Asking $ 8750.00
I am located in Ontario, Canada. You can email me with questions at hlangen@zing-net.ca
I can send pictures over the email. Can't seem to get them on this site. Says files too big.
I put some of your pictures on ... nice lookin truck
farmerden
Body Type: AAC

Post by farmerden »

Snap it up Harry-Just in case Ol' Yella needs a tow!! :lol:
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Chris Haynes »

As someone who has been driving tow trucks since the '60's it amazes me when someone says they have a tow truck, when all they really have is a truck with a crane on the bed. It takes a lot more equipment than a crane to tow a vehicle and none of these trucks I have seen have it. Are you supposed to simply grab a vehicle by the bumper, lift it off the ground and go? What will stop it from smashing into the truck when the truck stops? What will stop the vehicle from swinging left to right?
In those days there was an item called a scobie plate the mounted on the rear of the truck. The hook on the crane attached to the scobie plate. The scobie plate was backed up till it was firmly touching the bumper of the vehicle to be towed. Chains were then run from the bottom of the scobie plate to the towed vehicles frame or axle to keep the bumper tight on the scobie plate. This held the towed vehicle in place.
Here is the only picture I have been able to find of a scobie plate on a tow truck. They got replace by slings back in the '60's and the slings got replaced by hydraulic lifts a few years later. However big rig tow trucks often still use them.
http://tow411.yuku.com/topic/97763
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Well, "those days" must not be the Model A days. The Model A day vendor catalogs do not list/show a scobie plate. They do list something called a distance bar or towing pole which attached to the axle and the tow vehicle. They also list "lifting hooks" and "towing ambulance" All, great items to have with a tow vehicle.
Attachments
xWeaver Catalog I - page 37.jpg
xWeaver Catalog I - page 37.jpg (64.39 KiB) Viewed 10799 times
Regards, Neil Wilson
Harry Lipki

Post by Harry Lipki »

farmerden wrote:Snap it up Harry-Just in case Ol' Yella needs a tow!! :lol:
Hey, now there's a thought ..... :idea: .... now if only I could talk Pepsi into the idea :roll:
Sandman
Body Type: aa

Post by Sandman »

Chris Haynes wrote:As someone who has been driving tow trucks since the '60's it amazes me when someone says they have a tow truck, when all they really have is a truck with a crane on the bed. It takes a lot more equipment than a crane to tow a vehicle and none of these trucks I have seen have it. Are you supposed to simply grab a vehicle by the bumper, lift it off the ground and go? What will stop it from smashing into the truck when the truck stops? What will stop the vehicle from swinging left to right?
In those days there was an item called a scobie plate the mounted on the rear of the truck. The hook on the crane attached to the scobie plate. The scobie plate was backed up till it was firmly touching the bumper of the vehicle to be towed. Chains were then run from the bottom of the scobie plate to the towed vehicles frame or axle to keep the bumper tight on the scobie plate. This held the towed vehicle in place.
Here is the only picture I have been able to find of a scobie plate on a tow truck. They got replace by slings back in the '60's and the slings got replaced by hydraulic lifts a few years later. However big rig tow trucks often still use them.
http://tow411.yuku.com/topic/97763
russ
Body Type: 82a

Post by russ »

Nice tow truck Sandman. :)

Edited thanks to smarter folks than myself.

Best, russ
Last edited by russ on March 13th, 2011, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everybody likes pics.
vtwinsideways
Body Type: 82-A, 88-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by vtwinsideways »

I Liked it better before you edited it.
Last edited by vtwinsideways on March 17th, 2011, 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I get all my exercise jumping to conclusions."
Luke in Illinois
bgj1956

Post by bgj1956 »

Love to have that TOW TRUCK, again very well stated and explained Russ, Bruce in southern OHIO
Harry Lipki

Post by Harry Lipki »

I think it is a great lookin' truck --- after all it is a model AA :D -- Who ever puchases this unit will agree . :D
Rob MacDonald

Post by Rob MacDonald »

One of the things I most like about this website is that unlike other forums (Where, in the presence of 'bad manners', 'conflict', BS or otherwise ignorant behaviour the members utter a collective wail and flee with their metaphoric aprons like a parcel of silly old women - which description does ill-service to most of the old women I know) here the troll is dispatched and his hide salted and nailed to the shed as a warning to the others....

Nice truck.
rollingsculpture
Body Type: platform
Model Year: 1931

Post by rollingsculpture »

Rob MacDonald wrote:One of the things I most like about this website is that unlike other forums (Where, in the presence of 'bad manners', 'conflict', BS or otherwise ignorant behaviour the members utter a collective wail and flee with their metaphoric aprons like a parcel of silly old women - which description does ill-service to most of the old women I know) here the troll is dispatched and his hide salted and nailed to the shed as a warning to the others....

Nice truck.
FIRST OFF
NIce truck great fair price !! Good Luck .

as for the rest of the thread .....This is bs folks ganging up etc... , ive been following this forum and have learned so very much here from many including both chis and Russ. while it may seem that CH was being rude i really think he was just trying to add a little more info about whats on a tow truck as he relates from his experience . no big thing just a little extra info , i never knew what the parts are called and now i know what a scobie plate is . quite frankly it would be great if this thread can be cleaned up of this hijack by CH and Russ with the original posters editing out the entire texts of their fall out and let the thread be about A TRUCK FOR SALE its been a long winter and your cabin fever is showing guys , get out there and fix your trucks cause you cant fix people.
farmerden
Body Type: AAC

Post by farmerden »

Welll! It was good to see the truck and it was good to see the sparring! One thing for sure this site is never boring-Just the thing to heat up these cold winter nights!! :lol: Thanks you guys! Den