In need of Front Leaf Spring 30 Model AA

Here you can put your AA parts for sale, and wanted posts.
cowboysairranch
Body Type: Truck
Model Year: 1930

In need of Front Leaf Spring 30 Model AA

Post by cowboysairranch »

WANTED:,.... I still can not locate a front spring locally, even after looking over a year. It is for a 1930 Ford Model AA truck. Should measure about 30-5/8 inch's eye center to eye center. Be 2-1/4 inch's wide, and be 14 or more leafs total. I have one now but has seen better days (Pitted Bad). I'm in Northern Maine, but have to consider price vs shipping costs. Any one know of any???
spdway1

Re: In need of Front Leaf Spring 30 Model AA

Post by spdway1 »

I saw on ebay this AM, search Ford Model AA, on the main ebay page. Good Luck.
spdway1

Post by spdway1 »

I am not sure if it what you want, ebay item number 120761398630
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

cowboysairranch,
For '30/'31 the stock front spring for the AA131 is 13 leaves. As special equipment on the AA131 and standard for the AA157 there is a 14 leaf spring. See page 533 and 581 of the Ford Service Bulletins.

The 14 leaf spring is going to be harder to find than the 13 leaf spring.

The Ebay spring (item 120761398630) is not an AA spring. Buyer be ware on most Ebay parts!
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: 75-A

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

Cowboy, try Bgj1956 on the user control Panel above, he may have what need. I think he is in Sn Ohio!!!!! Shelby, Sacramento ---
EatonSpring
Body Type: Model A
Model Year: 1929

Post by EatonSpring »

Hi we are new to this forum but not new to making springs. We have been doing so since 1937 and over the years we have compiled over 24,000 OEM spring prints. So your search for springs is over. Give us a call at 1-313-963-3839. Website is www.eatonsprings.com Thanks - Mike
Mike Eaton
President
EATON Detroit Spring, Inc
1929 Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Model AA Dump
1947 Ford Sedan Delivery
Drew Mashburn

Post by Drew Mashburn »

cowboysairranch:

I have a front-end assembly with a 13-leaf spring attached to it. At least, part of the spring is still attached. The spring's center-bolt is broken and a few leaves are loose, but I have all of them. The backing-plates are on the axel and the wishbone is attached too. I don't want to remove the spring. I'd sell the whole thing for a hundred bucks, but I live in Southern California.........Ojai which is in Ventura County. You comin' out this way on a summer vacation or anything? It's too big to ship.

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
russ
Body Type: 82a

Post by russ »

Howdy Mike at Eaton Spring. Thanks for putting the offer and info out there for us. It's pretty common for us AA'ers to be addressing spring problems on these ol' rigs. I've completed the rebuild of all three spring packs on my chassis, but certainly would have given your product some consideration had i realized your capability at the time.

By the way, i found numerous spring leafs on my front pack that had cracks where the center bolt passes through. I'll bet that's not uncommon, and hope not too many of us are drivin' around with broken leafs. I was fortunate to have access to numerous other packs of leafs to pick through for replacements. I wonder how many of us shade tree wrenches actually bead blasts both sides of all 45 leafs (total front and rear) for damage/wear inspection. That's a whole lotta leaf tops and bottoms, and a truckload of time to blast 'em in our lil' harbor freight blast cabinets, but well worth it to avoid the spring failure whilst driving. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, in a modern commercial rig.

All of my leafs (front and rear) had fairly minor gouges where the ends of every leaf dug into the leaf beneath it. I ground off the gouges so the leafs can slide again, hopefully not weakening them too badly. I also beveled the leaf ends on the bottoms do they don't start gouging again, and will slide easier from the git-go.

Any chance you can throw out a ballpark price for a '30-'31 13 leaf front spring pack complete with bushings? I'm quite curious.

Also, do you make any recommendations for a dry lubricant to put twixt the leafs to assist in smoother action?

Best, russ
Everybody likes pics.
popcorn-guy

Post by popcorn-guy »

EatonSpring wrote:Hi we are new to this forum but not new to making springs. We have been doing so since 1937 and over the years we have compiled over 24,000 OEM spring prints. So your search for springs is over. Give us a call at 1-313-963-3839. Website is http://www.eatonsprings.com Thanks - Mike

Mike it would help the forum to know that one of your guys owns a AA dump truck so there is someone there that is familiar with the ills of the AA. I don't remember who it was that I was referred to that owed that rough riding model, but we talked about how to build a leaf pack that would provide a smoother ride for those of us that would like to use our ride for daily use or to tour with the A folks and maintain the appearance of a stock leaf pack. Not to mention having new steel that didn't have a bazillion cycles of wear and tear on it so that it could perform its' task. Something that no matter how much we would try, our old steel would never provide. Providing that fellows name so that we had someone to go to would be a geat help to us all, not that we wouldn't trust you, it's just nice to talk to a fellow AA'er.

Thanks for lending an ear. Alan
bgj1956

Post by bgj1956 »

This is bgj1956 in southern OHIO ( Bruce Johnson ) very interesting thread, if you need to get in touch with me email, bjoh1938@aol.com, thanks Bruce
gunmetal
Body Type: 188-A

Post by gunmetal »

I have a good set with the bottom bracket call 574-221-1475 or e-mail me at terry_rose2002@ yahoo.com if you need pics of them let me know
SHELBY MESSER
Body Type: 75-A

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

popcorn-guy wrote:
EatonSpring wrote:Hi we are new to this forum but not new to making springs. We have been doing so since 1937 and over the years we have compiled over 24,000 OEM spring prints. So your search for springs is over. Give us a call at 1-313-963-3839. Website is http://www.eatonsprings.com Thanks - Mike

Mike it would help the forum to know that one of your guys owns a AA dump truck so there is someone there that is familiar with the ills of the AA. I don't remember who it was that I was referred to that owed that rough riding model, but we talked about how to build a leaf pack that would provide a smoother ride for those of us that would like to use our ride for daily use or to tour with the A folks and maintain the appearance of a stock leaf pack. Not to mention having new steel that didn't have a bazillion cycles of wear and tear on it so that it could perform its' task. Something that no matter how much we would try, our old steel would never provide. Providing that fellows name so that we had someone to go to would be a geat help to us all, not that we wouldn't trust you, it's just nice to talk to a fellow AA'er.

Thanks for lending an ear. Alan

Chris, Check this link or call 1-313-963-3839 and ask for Mike Hope this helps let us know Shelby, Sacramento
Chris Reed
Body Type: Dump
Model Year: 1931

Post by Chris Reed »

Thanks Shelby, I just saw this today.

I called Eaton and they have the blue prints to make 28/29 and 30/31 springs.

If I can't find a clean used spring then I'm going to try to save my spring and use Eaton as a back up.

Thanks for this info.

Chris
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

What does eaton want for a AA spring? I could not and still cant find a unbroken AA 28/29 front spring...Managed to find an 18 leafer and thats what im using but curious...
Chris Reed
Body Type: Dump
Model Year: 1931

Post by Chris Reed »

$300ish for a 28/29, $400ish for a 30/31. Plus shipping.