AA rear axel questions

Here you can put your AA parts for sale, and wanted posts.
D L M Express
Body Type: 89-A
Model Year: 1928

AA rear axel questions

Post by D L M Express »

Hello fellow AAers,
I had a few questions that im sure many of you can quickly answer for me concerning some markings on my 1928 AA rear axles. The first one is their gear ratio's I have found the identifying letters A on one and the B on the other, but which is which? I have also found the casting of TT on the top side of one and AA in the same location on the other. Is the one with TT carry-over of the Model TT trucks? the one with the AA casting has much larger drums, so it must be from a later production changover. Also Im trying to remove the rear brake drums, I have been able to back off the ajusting wedge on one side so the drum spins fairly easy, but will need some more effort to come free. So, the next step will be a drum puller and some well placed hammer blows. I'm hoping this will be enough, at least for this side. The other side is a whole other challenge. Anyway anyone out there have any good tricks to share on removing rear drums?
Hayslip
Model Year: 1930

Re: AA rear axel questions

Post by Hayslip »

The "A" marking is for the low speed rear end approx 7 to 1. The "B" is for the high speed rear end approx 5 to 1. You can ignore the other markings.
Hayslip