I have lift off!

Here you can put your AA parts for sale, and wanted posts.
TruckMan
Body Type: Garwood Dump
Model Year: 1928

I have lift off!

Post by TruckMan »

Well, a day I waited for for nearly a decade. With the "rare as hen's teeth" 4-bolt PTO installed I was able to lft my 2 1/2 yard dump body. The hoist is a Wood, and I think that the body is as well, but it has no markings. I found the dump body at a salvage yard about 18 years ago. The hoist I bought about 10 years ago. Before that I just had a makeshift wooden deck on the back.

I have hauled 4200 lbs of sand several times in the past, but had to shovel it off. Also, the body came without a tail gate. I am building one this winter, almost done. I will finally be able to fully function as a dump truck. Happy day! I already have a job waiting this spring to deliver some top soil for a friend of mine.

Man, I love trucks!
Attachments
28AA Downtown 14Nov12.jpg
28AA Downtown 14Nov12.jpg (151.68 KiB) Viewed 7461 times
Up, Up and Away!.jpg
Up, Up and Away!.jpg (147.41 KiB) Viewed 7461 times
TruckMan
Franklin
Model Year: 1930

Re: I have lift off!

Post by Franklin »

wow! Thats awesome. Nice truck
Farrell In Vancouver
Body Type: Deck
Model Year: 1931

Post by Farrell In Vancouver »

Nice rig Truck man!
Thats gotta be a blast to haul and dump.
TruckMan

Post by TruckMan »

Thanks.

I’ve told my story before, but if you’re interested I built this truck piece by piece from scratch. I bought three very partial trucks and numerous salvage yard parts and trips to Iola to get enough to make it into one complete truck. One of the trucks I bought was a full frame but the cab was rusted to oblivion. It had been a gravity dump but the box was sold. The other two were cut down doodle bugs. I was able to buy a cab for $50. My dad and I found the dump body at a salvage yard about 18 years ago. We stumbled upon it just sitting there in the snow. Before that I just had a homemade wooden deck. Through the years I’ve hauled sand, furniture and the family Christmas tree. I started this project in ‘76 when I was 15, so it seems like I have “always” had it although in the early years I was often tearing it down and putting it together.

Now if any of you know your dump bodies, can you tell what year or manufacture I have? It looks like a Wood. It has the cylinder scoop out in the middle cross channel and the basic features look like a Wood Model C4. I don’t know what year but it has to be close. It is 84” long, 72” wide with 19’ sides, 2-1/2 yards. The hoist is definitely a Wood design. I have seen the likes of it (pictures) both before and after ’28 so I believe it is vintage but please weigh in if you recognize something.
TruckMan
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1crosscut »

SUPER!!!!! That had to be an incredible feeling to finally see it go up. It was nice that Bud was good enough to step up to the plate and sell the pto to you. Being willing to sell and trade to others is a big part of this hobby.
Have lots of fun.
Dave
------------
Dave
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

The tag on the box I have says C4, your sides are taller.

Bob
Attachments
C4.jpg
C4.jpg (60.17 KiB) Viewed 7407 times
spdway1

Post by spdway1 »

Nice Truck!
Now you can haul some of that snow outta there!!

Keep on Trucking! :wink:
markt
Body Type: 188a

Post by markt »

I really like your truck!
Drew Mashburn
Model Year: 1930

Post by Drew Mashburn »

TruckMan:

Atta Boy! Way to go!

-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
TruckMan

Post by TruckMan »

Thanks to all for the praises. Much appreciated. And thanks for the picture above of a C4.

I have attached a cut and paste out of a 1934 Wood catalog. My body has straight 3" channels as the rear uprights, while all of these have a flared post. Also, my longitudinal bottom rails are channels as well, while an underneathe view in this catalog shows them to be special V rails. I am guessing that either my body is of older manufacture and used more standard sections or it is a locally made knock off. Too many features are exactly the same to be coincidence.

I don't have any older brochures or information.
Attachments
1-8-2013 12-26-56 PM.jpg
1-8-2013 12-26-56 PM.jpg (158.56 KiB) Viewed 7362 times
TruckMan
1crosscut
Body Type: 82-A
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1crosscut »

Any chance of seeing a video of it in action?
Dave
------------
Dave
Roadster AA
Body Type: 82A

Post by Roadster AA »

Truckman,
Real nice looking truck!
I have been collecting parts for 7 years. now i am ready to start putting it together.
I can't decide what color i want it.
Your all black AA looks real nice. I would really like to see more pictures of your truck at different angles.
I would also like to see some interior pictures.
If possible could you post some more pictures of your AA.
Nice job. Lucky you.
Maybe in a few years, i will have lift off too.

Thanks,
Pat
captain marty
Body Type: firetruck

Post by captain marty »

I really like the photo with the bed up. I used to live up there and have found lots of old vehicles all over the state. Nice job.
Marty
TruckMan

Post by TruckMan »

Well, I can try to post more pictures. I've got a smart phone that takes very good pictures now, so I need to get at it. My old phone's pictures were too low of a quality to post.

Roadster AA, my interior is quite austere. An original seat is about it. No panels. Here's challenge to you. Get some sort of picture of your truck and make an avitar. Also post some picures of the before parts.

I like the all black, but at times I consider painting the wheels red. Not a standard Ford color for AA's, but it was very common after purchasing. Most of the wheels I salvaged were red. I mentioned it to the guys at the Model A show at the Oshkosh EAA and they said "No!". We'll see. Also, now that the body can dump, my tool box needs a home. I might paint it red and stow it under the LH front of the body or on the running board. Then I need to make a spare tire carrier for the RH side since I can't carry that in the bed anymore either. I also toy around with the idea of mounting an antique shovel on the side. I also have an antique gasoline can that might look cool on the opposite running board. That would be a few red accents. Have not decided. My first mission is to get completely dump ready with the tailgate, latches, lever and chains.

So, when I finish welding up and installing the double action tailgate I will certainly take some action shots.
TruckMan
TruckMan

Post by TruckMan »

Here are some pics from the www. The first shows a black AA with red spoke wheels, the othe shows a dump body with a spare mounted.
Attachments
An example of mounting the spare to the dump body
An example of mounting the spare to the dump body
IMGP1653%20(Small).jpg (57.87 KiB) Viewed 7239 times
An example of a black truck with red spoke wheels
An example of a black truck with red spoke wheels
28 AA Ford Black Express.jpg (224.1 KiB) Viewed 7239 times
TruckMan