STRAWPOLL - NEW GEAR SETS

Here you can put your AA parts for sale, and wanted posts.
popcorn-guy
Model Year: 1930

Post by popcorn-guy »

I have been working on having new diff. gear sets produced for the worm drives and the bevel gear units (HS). After considerable referral chasing I have been able to find two companies that are interested in doing a "short production run". That run would, to be cost effective, appear to be at least 30 units and if that figure goes up the cost comes down even more. No, I do not have a cost figure for anyone at this point. This is a straw poll to ascertain the interest in the first place. I'm not asking for a commitment to pay any funding at this time. It will be based on the response to this poll.

After the figures are amassed and presented to the gear companies, then we can have a "quote" provided and from there we can put together an order. I will not underwrite an order that is not sustainable, as I can not afford to do so. I have no intention to make any monies off of this order. This initial order will be a non-profit project. All billing will be copied and provided with the gear sets in order that it will be an up front project. It has been suggested that this be provided with "new" bearings as a kit, and I am inclined to believe that this would be a good choice for all if possible. It seems apparent that from the input at this point that these bearings are difficult to obtain, and those that are coming into the market are offshore products and not up to standards. Subsequently, I will look into having the Timken bearings reproduced.

Please forward your input to arw60@comcast.net in order that a comprehensive view of this project can be evaluated. In other words, is this a viable project and worth pursuing. If not, then it will save a lot of time and energy, and if so, I am more than willing to see it through. I would like to see our hobby march forward and put more of the AA's out there for the public to see. We have great pieces of Americana and people are enamored with them, subsequently they should be shared more over the country by putting them back on the streets for their enjoyment. I would think that it would bring great pleasure also to share these trucks with the public at large and the forthcoming generations of our families.

Review:
1. Do you have an interest in a set(s) of gears? If so how many of bevel gears/worm gear sets? (High Speed units)
2. NO, I do not have a price currently.
3. The amount of interest (sets of gears) will be the determining factor for price. They req. a number.
4. This initial order will be done as a non-profit venture. Costs divided equally per number of units.
5. I will attempt to have the units drop shipped from the mfg. to save overall shipping costs.
6. This will have to be a pre-paid order project. (Upon placing the order)

One company can do the bevel gears. The other company can do the bevel gears as well as worm drive sets and that may be the best alternative. If there is a good interest in both then we would have the ability to obtain the best price because of volume. I was surprised as to how small of order that they would take, but the smaller the order the steeper the price.

If anyone has a set of engineered drawings for the worm drive gears please let me know. I have a set for the bevel drive and can have them e-mailed from their source to either company and if you could forward via e-mail a jpg or pdf of the worm gear drawings I will see to it that they go to the appropriate individuals that I am working with.

Any input? Please email me. Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hello Alan,
When you talk about the bevel gear units, are you talking about the '29 bevel gear axle or the '30/'31 bevel gear axle?

And, I would think that there would be more interest in these gears with a better ration than the original high speed. A ratio of 4.11:1 would yield a speed of 54 mph at 2350 rpm. A ratio of 4.75:1 would yield a speed of 46 mph at 2350 rpm.

The current worm drive axle 5.17:1 at 2350 rpm yields 42.9 mph.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by popcorn-guy »

Bevel Gear sets would be for the 30/31 issues. I am going to approach both companies about making a 4.11 set. I would think that they could possibly work from the eng. drawings of the 5.14 that I have to provide them. If they need drawings for the 4.11 then someone other than me would have to step up to the plate and provide them. Not my forte.

As for the worm drive, I had in mind the 5.17 set (provided we can come up with the engineered drawings) as that was the HS of it's day and today one the the sought after sets. It would be interesting to see if a 4.11 could be done for that as well, provided that it would be practical. I'm sure the TT owners would like to see it as well. I had in the back of my mind to have the bronze changed to steel, but a tech at one of the companies advised that the bronze is required as it is sacraficial due to the sliding action of the worm. Otherwise both gears would wear out and not be reusable. Short life span as well. This is as I know it at this time.
popcorn-guy

Post by popcorn-guy »

I will attempt to find the time Monday to contact the company that has the more broad capabilities and ascertain what could be done for the 4.11 gears. If not Monday then when I get back on Wed. or Thurs. A short phone call should provide the answer to this question. If so, then I'll post it out as additional information.