1930 Ford AA Brake Question

AA Ford Discussion Group relating to the repair and restoration of your AA Ford.
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake
Model Year: 1931

Re: 1930 Ford AA Brake Question

Post by ModelAkid »

I have one of those old brake drum grinding machines. It is in working order but the grindstone is worn out and I have not found a replacement. I was told when I got it that it is the only way to resurface steel drums.
I'm pretty sure the truck bolt pattern remained the same throughout the '30's and beyond because I had a 1935 wheel on my AA once. I know it was a '35 wheel because it was dated 1935. All the old Ford truck wheels from 1930-on were dated with the month & year they were made. In fact I'm pretty sure that the manufacturing date is still stamped on almost all wheels today.
If you grind any brake shoes be careful if they are old stock shoes that may have asbestos in them. Asbestos dust must not be inhaled.
tiredtruckrestorer

Post by tiredtruckrestorer »

ModelAkid,

Your 1935 dated wheel was probably a replacement wheel still furnished to fit the "BB" and "AA" trucks. The March 1934 Ford Service Bulletins state "With the adoption of the full floating rear axle in the 1934 truck, the diameter of the wheel bore and bolt circle were increased. . . . These wheels cannot be used on former hubs." Just wanted to clarify my former statement.

I purchased a grinding stone for my brake drum grinder, but I don't remember where. I'll check on it and let you know.

Keith
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake

Post by ModelAkid »

Tiredtruckrestorer you are correct about the wheel change described in the 3/34 Service Bulletin, p. 164. The information about the change to continuous lock rings from the previous split lock rings is also interesting. So the AA & BB wheels used from 1930 to 1933 were only used for 4 years, which explains why they are somewhat hard to find, especially in good condition.
cokefirst
Body Type: stake

Post by cokefirst »

I attempted to look up Steve or Steven Salazar to get my brake shoes relined for my AA and i had no luck. Does anyone know a good contact number for him or if he still does AA shoe relining I know this is an old post but I am hoping he is still around. Thank you,
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Neil Wilson »

cokefirst wrote:
December 19th, 2021, 4:10 pm
I attempted to look up Steve or Steven Salazar to get my brake shoes relined for my AA and i had no luck. Does anyone know a good contact number for him or if he still does AA shoe relining I know this is an old post but I am hoping he is still around. Thank you,
Steven Salazar died a number of years ago. I don't know of anyone doing AA brake shoes. Check with Bert's @ https://modelastore.com/
Regards, Neil Wilson
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A

Post by Chris Haynes »

I was at a sale a few days ago. There was a heavy duty brake drum turning machine sitting in the driveway. It could probably be had at a very reasonable price. Shipping would be a killer. Located in North Hollywood, CA.
David R.
Body Type: Chassis

Post by David R. »

I recently did brakes on mine. I re-lined my own shoes. I bought woven linings from Snyder’s and the tool to set the hollow rivets. I made my own countersink drill to drill linings and a jig to hold shoes while I set rivets. I picked the best four out ten drums and didn’t turn them. Some were already too thin to safely turn. The ones I used all looked like they had never been turned.