need29 aa torque tube and drive shaft

Here you can put your AA parts for sale, and wanted posts.
Richard Kinney
Model Year: 1930

need29 aa torque tube and drive shaft

Post by Richard Kinney »

i have a 29AA rear end that is shortened for a doodlebug and need to make it long again. it is not a worm type, it is a 29 beveled type, that is to say it fits the 6 spoke wheels and looks like the regular model a rear, but is twice or three times as big. the drums are 14", the backing plates are pretty much flat and the springs attach like all others. i live in Michigan logging country and thats prob. how it got up here. maybe there is one in coal country or farm country. i only need the torque tube and driveshaft but i'll take what comes.(i already tried to match up parts off a 30 bevel type and it won't fit) Next time you trip over one at your local bone yard please holler. have cash/will travel. aw heck i'll even betcha a hundred bucks ya can't find me one. Dick Kinney kinn912@up.net
Bradshaw
Body Type: 82A Cab 89A Express
Model Year: 1929

29 AA Torque Tube and Drive-shaft

Post by Bradshaw »

Dick,

Have you tried to fit the toruqe tube and drive-shaft from the worm gear rear axle?

I don't know if it will fit, but I've got one of each for sale. Parted out the high-speed rear gears and have these and a few other parts for sale.

Bradshaw
Richard Kinney

Post by Richard Kinney »

bradshaw, thanks for your reply. i have studied the worm type outer tube and they are a completely different shape. i have not seen the inner drive shaft of a worm design but because of length differences, it could only contribute to the cut and splice solution. there is a man in Pa. that has the exact parts i need, and those are the only parts he has but he won't say any price, he is afraid to sell them. any way i'm not shure i am a big iron guy. i never had a complete vehicle and was just gathering parts like a basket case. i may just sell off my accumulation and get a car so i wont have to build a new and larger garage. i really do appreciate your concern and have never seen people try to help each other as i have on this site. sincerly dick kinney.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Richard,
According to the '29 Ford Parts Price List, the bevel gear rear axle has different parts from the worm drive axle (including the torque tube and drive shaft). The drive gear and drive shaft are one part (AA-4209-A or AA-4209-B). These are for the 7.16:1 or 5.11:1 gear ratios.

The backing plates, drums, radius rods, u-joint and u-joint housings are all the same as the worm drive axle.

Attached is one picture of this axle in my early '29 AA Experss truck
Attachments
Bevel 28-29 1 72ppi.jpg
Bevel 28-29 1 72ppi.jpg (33.6 KiB) Viewed 3780 times
Regards, Neil Wilson