shifter needed

Here you can put your AA parts for sale, and wanted posts.
markp
Model Year: 1930

shifter needed

Post by markp »

I need a good shifter for a 1929 4-speed. The ball on mine is so worn that it dropped below the pin. The complete shift tower would also be okay.
Mark in N. KY
Watermelon Truck2

Post by Watermelon Truck2 »

I have a shifter I would sell , the tower is part of it, is your emergency brake on the side of the tower.I think all the 4 spds are the same. i am in Pennsylvania south of pittsburgh ,I could probaly ship it ups if I have your zip can tell you shipping. Well sell for 60.00 + shipping for whole tower , I well check to make sure it is good, Mark McCune
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Hello Mark in N. Ky,
FYI - There were two styles of shift towers and AA-7209 shift levers. The first style uses a gear shift lever cap which is held to the tower with pins (AA-7221 - gear shift lever trunnion). The second style shows up in the Oct. 20, 1930 Ford Parts Price List and uses an internally threaded cap which screws onto the threaded tower.

The remainder of the tower parts don't look like there is a difference.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by markp »

This one is a single pin with screw on cap. Would the dual pin be stronger? My zip code is 41076.
Watermelon Truck2

I am not sure what one I have , if you use the whole tower it won't matter my sep of 30 truck is threaded .i well try and check this one tomorrow, to see what style it is.
Watermelon Truck2

The cap is threaded ,these are better because you can keep them tight and helps keep oil from leaking out. the threads on the shifter were the knob goes are ruined but the reverse latch and shifter seems to work okay,There is a little side to side movement ,but my truck is like that it doesn't seem to hurt anything. I well have to take off trany to weight it and can give shipping price then.
Let me know what you want to do. Mark McCune
markp

Post by markp »

I'll let you know in a week or so. I was contacted by someone less than 30 miles from home who has a trans with a pto. I'm going to check it out as soon as the weather gets warmer. I'll contact you as soon as I find out something. My e-mail is sprintfan2443@insightbb.com.
PS. I am restoring a homebuilt tractor that my grandfather made from a '29 dump truck. It seems to be a good choice for a first time restoration, but I am planning on doing a complete dump truck next - sort of a before and after thing. So I will probably start collecting parts this fall or winter if I can find a decent candidate.
Watermelon Truck2

sounds like fun. I have had this trany for years so it is not hurting anything were it is .
Brady
Body Type: None

Post by Brady »

Hi Mark:
If you're working on a "Doodlebug" you might enjoy some improvising- I have a few T-8 shifters with excessive wear at the lever ball. Much of the stuff on homebuilts was worn out twice prior to being used for work, and had to be pounded to fit and painted to match (if there was any paint).
I made a shim for the shifter ball from a cut up ping pong ball, and it's still working all right at this time. The reverse gate set-up on those shifters is also a problem in that nearly all (around here) are rusted solid. I just tear that stuff off, as the gate isn't necessary for doodlebug operation.
Good luck with the project, and do some searches for doodlebugs on the net.
markp

Post by markp »

I'm finding that's the case. At first I was going to have one EDM machined from a 1 3/8 bearing ball (fits the tower beautifully), but that was $490. They said they could make one from 304 stainless for $250. I'm sure if about 100 AA owners would do a group purchase the price would come down (ha - ha). My plan B is trying to cut one of the bearing balls with a chop saw and some creative fixturing.