!928 AA Express spare wheel carrier needed

Here you can put your AA parts for sale, and wanted posts.
markt
Body Type: 188a
Model Year: 1928

!928 AA Express spare wheel carrier needed

Post by markt »

I am looking for a spare wheel carrier for my '28 AA express. I know that this is a shot in the dark but I have to try. This is the style that rivets to the right side of the bed.
Thanks for any assistance.
Mark
markt

Re: !928 AA Express spare wheel carrier needed

Post by markt »

Still looking.... anybody?
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed
Model Year: 1931

Post by spectria »

markt wrote:Still looking.... anybody?
I don't have one, don't know anybody who does.
Is this the one you are looking for?
89-A Wheel Carrier 1928-1929 b.jpg
89-A Wheel Carrier 1928-1929 b.jpg (132.44 KiB) Viewed 7351 times
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Chris Haynes
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1930

Post by Chris Haynes »

Like like something a metal fabricator could knock out. You have the rivet hole pattern in the bed. The rest should be easy.
markt

Post by markt »

That is the one I am looking for. I am considering having one made. Thanks for the replys gentlemen!
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

There are drawings of this body mounted carrier (both design 1 and 2) at http://aafords.com/aa-chassis/aa-1400-w ... iers/#wcsf.

There are some dimensions on these two drawings. The design 2 included a support strap and that is basically the only difference between the two designs.

If anyone can reproduce this carrier (including the carrier brace for the inside of the body) exactly like original, there would be a market I believe. I don't believe it would be easy. If it were easy, then it would have already been done.

There would not be much of a market for making a carrier that simply "works" but is not exactly like original. At least, I would not put such a part on my project. There are too many poor reproductions of parts.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Joseki
Body Type: AA
Model Year: 1929

Post by Joseki »

Neil Wilson wrote:There are drawings of this body mounted carrier (both design 1 and 2) at http://aafords.com/aa-chassis/aa-1400-w ... iers/#wcsf.

There are some dimensions on these two drawings. The design 2 included a support strap and that is basically the only difference between the two designs.

If anyone can reproduce this carrier (including the carrier brace for the inside of the body) exactly like original, there would be a market I believe. I don't believe it would be easy. If it were easy, then it would have already been done.

There would not be much of a market for making a carrier that simply "works" but is not exactly like original. At least, I would not put such a part on my project. There are too many poor reproductions of parts.

Hey Brother. I looked at the posted drawings. They are not complete enough for a machine shop. The holes in the flange are shown but you need a measurement to the center of each hole. I do see the bolt dimensions but I think we would have to list measurements instead of bolt sizes. Also there are no radius dimensions on the corners etc. The problems are not insolvable but I don't see this as cheap either.

If you can find the guy that drew these in the first place and work out the measurements you could take those drawing to any machine shop. Some machine shops will do the drawing for you. They have an in-house cad operator. But you would have to take in an original part as well so that he could get the exact measurements.

Hope this helps ~~Jim
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

The drawing were some that I did on my computer program (MS Visio). They were not done for the purpose of reproduced. They were just done for AA'ers to be able to identify them.

It would be interesting to hear what the approximate cost would be to have one reproduced.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Joseki
Body Type: AA

Post by Joseki »

Hey Neil,

Cool drawings by the way. If you think you can finish them I can get a quote. I use a machine shop called Jemelco Inc. based in Tempe AZ. They are a small shop so they like custom work and they have done quality work for me in the past.

I don't have a part to take in so they couldn't finish the drawings. Have fun.
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

I would think if you had the part number you could get the drawings from The Henry Ford.
http://www.thehenryford.org/imagesource.aspx
Bob
Ulysses6
Body Type: 89A

Post by Ulysses6 »

Neil Wilson wrote:The drawing were some that I did on my computer program (MS Visio). They were not done for the purpose of reproduced. They were just done for AA'ers to be able to identify them.

It would be interesting to hear what the approximate cost would be to have one reproduced.
have you worked on a drawing for the 88-A rear fender spacers ? I have not been able to locate any originals and thought about having some made.
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Joseki,
I assume that when you indicate "finish the drawing" that you mean to add in more dimensions?

The MS Visio drawing program is only two dimensional and the file type I use is .vsd. The shop you reference likely has the ability to work with drawing files with some type of suffix. So, check with Jemelco Inc. to find out what type of files they can work with. If they don't work with .vsd files then I can save the files with other types (.dwg and .dxf are two types).

I could email them a file. This would mean that they could determine any measurement they wanted. I also have a number is .jpg (pictures) of this carrier. Between the file and the pictures, an accurate carrier could likely be made. Maybe they can made a plastic 3d of the parts and those could be checked out on a real live express body to verify correctness prior to making the part.

Keep in mind that my drawings are based on my personal measurement of the original parts. While I try to be as accurate as possible, the dimensions may not be exactly like original. My drawings were not meant to be for reproduction purposes.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

Ulysses6,
I have a drawing of the 88-A rear fender spacer and one picture. This should be a separate thread so as to not steal the thread topic from the originator. You can start a thread and I will provide the information I have. Best to email me when you start the thread so I will not miss it.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: Grainbox

Post by Stakebed »

the stem and part that bolts to the rim don't look too hard to reproduce but that plate that's riveted to the bed has some compound lines going on specifically the hump for the bed belt and then it meets with the bell of the stem tube. would need a hell of a die and a heck of a press to stamp that guy out...

to make one work and hold a tire up it wouldn't be too hard with some plate steel and iron pipe but if you want exact reproduction more than a one off it would cost thousands per piece...No idea what a fabrication shop would charge but cant imagine too cheap...

Ill keep a lookout for you if i happen to come across one!

I just wish someone would reproduce the AA rims... I find many more junk ones that useable ones.
markt

Post by markt »

Thank you everybody for your input. I hope to find an original yet but if need be I will try the fabrication route. I should get a lot of "shop time" this winter. Winters are long and cold here in Canada!... I will keep you all posted on my progress.