1931 AA Stakebed on ebay, no reserve

Here you can put your AA parts for sale, and wanted posts.
ModelAkid
Body Type: 186-B stake
Model Year: 1931

1931 AA Stakebed on ebay, no reserve

Post by ModelAkid »

I have put my beautiful 1931 AA stakebed on ebay with a low starting price and no reserve:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231364182845?ss ... 1558.l2649
Drew Mashburn
Model Year: 1930

Re: 1931 AA Stakebed on ebay, no reserve

Post by Drew Mashburn »

Curt:

I sure hope some local AA enthusiast buys it. It would be great to see it tooling around Ventura County!

Good Luck with your sale,
-- Drew
Drew Mashburn
ModelAkid

Post by ModelAkid »

It is really a shame that no one seems to appreciate this truck. The price I started the auction at was the same price it sold for at auction 16 years ago. I seriously cannot believe no one bid on it. There were 125 people "watching" the auction. If no one contacts me to buy it I will run the auction again with a really low starting price and a reserve. Personally I hate hidden reserve prices, but those auctions seem to do better.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

To me, it does not make since to start bidding at a high price and no reserve. I see this all of the time and the truck or part usually does not sell.

By starting at a low bid with a reserve, you will see what the market is willing to pay but don't run the risk of it going for too little.

If the reserve is not made, at least you have learned something about the market.

Just my opinion.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by ModelAkid »

Well Neil, I did not think starting the auction at the same price it sold for 16 years ago was a "high price". I go to lots of auctions and I know the games they play. I don't like those games but I guess there is a reason for them, often the auctioneers games result in prices more than what they should be. Next time I'll play the game. I just thought I would give it an "honest" shot the first time.
spectria
Body Type: Mail Truck, Stakebed

Post by spectria »

ModelAkid wrote:Well Neil, I did not think starting the auction at the same price it sold for 16 years ago was a "high price". I go to lots of auctions and I know the games they play. I don't like those games but I guess there is a reason for them, often the auctioneers games result in prices more than what they should be. Next time I'll play the game. I just thought I would give it an "honest" shot the first time.
Curt, it becomes something of a challenge for some, the dream of getting a chance on an awesome machine like your truck for $100 bucks, but it keeps going up as people get in the "spirit' of outbidding others... keep your reserve high and mention "for sale locally" as a possible out on a short bid...
Dave in Quincy, Ca. I love Pics!!!! Post them All!!! :)
Join the Ford Model AA Truck Club - membership form at http://www.fmaatc.org
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

Does anyone know if there are different changes (and how much) for listing an item at no reserve? I had thought that maybe there is and that is why so many parts/vehicles are listed at a high starting bid and no reserve.

By "high" I mean any amount which the seller thinks the item is worth or should sell for. Which may or may not be realistic. Listing an item on Ebay this way is about the same as placing the ad in a newspaper, Fordbarn, AA Forum, etc. It is really not an auction but more of a "buy it now" sale.

I look at an auction as a way to learn the market and not as games. The reserve price protects the seller. The Ebay auction shows that there is a reserve. So, that fact is known by buyers (just not how much the reserve is).
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: Express
Model Year: 1929

Post by 1wonton »

If the seller wanted to sell this truck he would start with a low bid and have no reserve, otherwise it's just fishing. We don't always make money or even break even on these old cars. Nice truck and it seems like it's worth the price but REALITY tells us it is not. Epay is the best gauge on what these are worth.
ModelAkid

Post by ModelAkid »

I have sold lots of things on ebay but only one other vehicle, which I priced cheap and it got one bid. The buyer was from Chile and paid to have it shipped there. Yes it would be nice to run a "real" auction starting at one dollar and "let the market decide what it is worth". If the item is worth $10 or $20 you can take that chance, but sometimes for various reasons an auction will not get the bids it should get, so you can't do that with valuable vehicle. I agree starting low and having a hidden reserve will disclose what the market is willing to pay; on the other hand if the reserve is not met the buyers do not know what the seller's price is. The seller could have priced it way too high and the bidders were wasting their time. When I want to buy something and ask the price and the seller says "make me an offer", I walk away. The seller has to start by offering a price. If it's low, you buy. If it's a bit high, you negotiate. If it's way high, you know a sale is not going to happen. That's the way I look at it, others may have different opinions.
Also sometimes people will contact the unsuccessful ebay seller and make a deal. I have seen that happen quite a few times, and it could still happen with my truck. Dave made a good point: I should have mentioned "for sale locally".