head lamp reflectors

Here you can put your AA parts for sale, and wanted posts.
markt
Body Type: 188a
Model Year: 1928

head lamp reflectors

Post by markt »

I am looking for a pair of original Model A/AA single bulb headlamp reflectors. Does anybody have a pair that are restorable for sale?
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A
Model Year: 1930

Re: head lamp reflectors

Post by Neil Wilson »

FYI - the first headlamps had single bulb reflectors. In early 1929 the headlamps were changed to the Twolite design. Vehicles with cowl lights had a single bulb reflector.

The above single bulb reflectors are different designs. So, I suggest you determine which design you want. Or, maybe you don't care (as either design can be used)
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: 186-B stake
Model Year: 1931

Post by ModelAkid »

Neil, if a dealer added cowl lamps to an A or AA, did they change the headlamps back to single bulb?
I'm just wondering why I see so many vehicles with cowl lamps and 2 bulb headlamps.
markt

Post by markt »

I was not aware that there were two styles of single bulb reflectors. I would prefer the earlier ones but would take what ever is available.

Thank you
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Post by Stakebed »

Neil Wilson wrote:FYI - the first headlamps had single bulb reflectors. In early 1929 the headlamps were changed to the Twolite design. Vehicles with cowl lights had a single bulb reflector.

The above single bulb reflectors are different designs. So, I suggest you determine which design you want. Or, maybe you don't care (as either design can be used)
Neil - do you know when in 29 they switched to 2bulb headlights? My march 29 had the 2 bulb style fyi...
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

markt, Either single bulb reflector will work. If the later reflector is installed in a early headlamp, there is a slight offset difference for the adjustment screw (see page 362 if the Service Bulletins).

ModelAkid, I don't know what the dealers did. But, there would have to be wiring changes to convert to cowl lamps. My guess is the reflectors would have been changed (at least they should have been).

Stakebed, The Twolite announcement is in the February 1929 Service Bulletin.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by markt »

Thanks Neil, for the information. I do have the early headlights and the early sockets that I have restored. Just need the reflectors now!
BrianT
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Post by BrianT »

There are 2 options to pick for reflectors the vendors sell, made to original Ford blue prints which can be focused correctly for night time driving, they also have cheaper import reflectors that will not focus but look good, I have found good quality bulbs at swat meets, Mazda 1000 and Osram,etc usually for 50 cents a piece or so.
spdway1

Post by spdway1 »

Brattons has the BEST quality reproduction head light reflectors. They have them made.
markt

Post by markt »

Thank you all for your help, I will look at Bratton's if I can't find originals.
ModelAkid

Post by ModelAkid »

Neil, I have a bunch of original single bulb headlamp reflectors, how can I tell the difference between the first & second type?
Neil Wilson

Post by Neil Wilson »

The second design reflector has a trough around the outer edge for the gasket to fit into. The first design does not have the outer flange. The original gasket was a solid ring.

Maybe you have a pair to sell to markt? He is looking for usable originals.
Regards, Neil Wilson
Body Type: 75-A

Post by SHELBY MESSER »

I ordered a pair of reflectors from Gaslight Auto Parts. They are chrome plated brass, I ordered the 2 bulb, they have the single bulb also. Looks really good. The chrome plated medal reflector seems to flake the chrome or silver reflectors. The old brass reflectors can be buffed with fine steel wool and get read of the black and bring out the silver. do not use any kind of polish or cleaner. I did put mine in a soda bath for about 20 mins. and let dry. I had a post on this If I can I'll bring it forward again :) Shelby, Louisiana.
ModelAkid

Post by ModelAkid »

Shelby, the chrome plated reflectors are way less bright (reflective) than the original silver, or the new type aluminum plated reflectors both of which are the brightest available at 92% reflection.
Neil, I did send an email to markt to sell him reflectors but no reply. Maybe he didn't figure out how to use the email system.