looking to buy 4 speed bipartable ujoint or interm. shaft

Here you can put your AA parts for sale, and wanted posts.
birdacre
Body Type: AA express
Model Year: 1928

looking to buy 4 speed bipartable ujoint or interm. shaft

Post by birdacre »

i have a 31 intermediate shaft with a well worn u joint. any leads on where to get one? i could also use my 1930 intermediate shaft that has a drive gear that bolts to transmission output shaft. gear is in good shape but end of shaft that receives it is worn. so if you have a u joint or interm. shaft for drive gear style please let me know, thank you, kevin
BrianT
Body Type: 82A
Model Year: 1929

Re: looking to buy 4 speed bipartable ujoint or interm. sha

Post by BrianT »

birdacre wrote:i have a 31 intermediate shaft with a well worn u joint. any leads on where to get one? i could also use my 1930 intermediate shaft that has a drive gear that bolts to transmission output shaft. gear is in good shape but end of shaft that receives it is worn. so if you have a u joint or interm. shaft for drive gear style please let me know, thank you, kevin
Hello Kevin,
I have some parts that may help you out, the middle u-joint in the pic is from a intermediate shaft that you have, --- are the knuckles worn badly on the one you have?.

However I sold the cross and bearings to another AA owner as this size cross fits several u-joints, but I do have a cross with bearings that have little wear, which could be used as an interim until you find a usable one.

If I read your earlier post you want to install this shaft between the 4 speed and the worm axle, I believe the splines maybe larger in the rear u-joint than the shaft, hopefully not as this would be an ideal set up, PM me with any questions.
Regards Brian.
Attachments
AA U JOINTS 1.JPG
AA U JOINTS 1.JPG (246.54 KiB) Viewed 6243 times
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

funny question. i was looking at my pile of assorted parts and came up with an idea. the u joints you have in your photo made me think. i wonder if the u joint that was originally on the truck with the 3 speed would work with the u joint cover for the splittable u joint? the u joints seem to be similar size in height. the splines fit of course. when i bought my truck an old farmer had brazed the original u joint cover on the back of a 4 speed when he updated it from a 3 speed. the bolt holes did not line up, so he went with option b. i could use all my drive shafts as is and just bolt on the splittable u joint cover and connect it. it seems to have enough clearance as it sits in the housing and spins by hand, any ideas?? thank you. kevin
Bob C
Body Type: Mail truck, Stake tr
Model Year: 1931

Post by Bob C »

As far as I know the only u-joint that will bolt to the 4-speed and has
10 splines to mate with the coupling shaft is the center one Brian shows.

Bob
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

hey thanks for input. my ujoint fits on the out put shaft of my four speed. i just could not bear to look at the wrong u joint housing cover brazed to the rear of the transmission. i will get the number off the u joint tonight. it would be great if it proves true that the original 3 speed driveshaft with a worm drive rear end could bolt up to a four speed using original u joint and the u joint cover from the 31 splittable u joint introduction. any ideas out there. kevin
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

The part that was brazed to the back of the transmission is the bearing retainer.
The u-joint for the 30-31 4-speed is 6 spline 1 5/16" X 10 spline 1 1/4" the rear u-joint
is 1 1/4" 10 spline both ends. The u-joint for the 28-29 3-speed is 1 3/16" 6 spline X 1 1/8"
6 spline the rear u-joint is 1 3/16" 6 spline X 1 1/4" 10 spline.

Bob
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

thank you for information. i went and checked my mystery u joint. it is SA 7092 anyone familiar with this? it fits on the output shaft of a four speed and then slides on the intermediate shaft for the original 3 speed that came in the truck. it has a worm drive rear end of course and a u joint on each end of intermediate shaft. any ideas. it seems to defy most people's opinions. kevin in ct
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

i did a search under sa 7092 and found what i was looking for. it sure confirms your numbers you gave me. i was assuming the u joint was the original. your numbers make sense. this u joint was made for putting a four speed in a model a car. so i guess my bearing retainer will work. thank you for the proper name. i might also use the drive gear style int shaft , any ideas on which is a better design. thank you in advance, kevin
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

The part number for your complete u-joint is A-7090-C, 7092 is the part number of the front knuckle.
I would us the coupling shaft with the two u-joints, the gear type needs to be lined up just right or there
is excessive wear on the parts.

Bob
birdacre

Post by birdacre »

hey bob, thanks again for the info. in your opinion what works well to seal the two cups or discs that cover the u joints. do you know of a source for this gasket or was it just felt sandwiched in between. it almost looks like there is a groove for a round sealing ring. thanks again, kevin
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

I think this is what you are looking for. http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/coupl ... g-seal-kit

Bob