Wanted: good original manual windshield wiper

Here you can put your AA parts for sale, and wanted posts.
vonheine
Body Type: none
Model Year: 1930

Wanted: good original manual windshield wiper

Post by vonheine »

I am interested in finding a good original manual windshield wiper for a 1929 82A commercial truck cab. Joseph cell 781-249-4478 text or call
Stakebed
Body Type: Grainbox
Model Year: 1929

Re: Wanted: good original manual windshield wiper

Post by Stakebed »

Show quality or functional? Ive got 2 extras... (ones pretty rough but functional)
vonheine

Post by vonheine »

First of all, Thank You for the response. I was hoping to find a real nice one. I see that there are new manufactured manual wipers, but I am not sure how they compare to the originals in regard to dimensions. The new ones are all fancy chrome or stainless, which I could work over to make black, but if the arm lengths/offsets are not correct it will not look right regardless of black paint.

So, If you want to sell one that is correct for a 1929 82A commercial truck let me know how much. Can it be restored? My truck has the original tube for the shaft. A manual wiper was definitely original equipment. Unfortunately, someone cut it off with a hacksaw and drilled two holes for a vacuum wiper motor. Then they took aviation snips and cut clearance in the windshield hinge.

I am trying to find a pattern for the original hinge notch to make it the way it was in 1929-early 1930. I would like to weld in a patch to 1929 specifications.

My first thoughts were to upgrade to a vacuum wiper, like the one in my 1931 Model A station wagon. However, for the AA truck, simple is better. A manual wiper will always pass inspection and get you a sticker. Also, how often do you really drive in the rain? One never has to worry about poor engine performance caused by a vacuum leak if you never tap into the intake manifold. Plus, it is original equipment for a commercial truck. The new ones are only 28 bucks or so, but as I said if they are not correct dimensionally than you have nothing. An original even in bad shape provides an accurate historical reference.
Stakebed

Post by Stakebed »

totally forgot to look today - will be Wed before I get back out there and see what i got. I know they aint perfect - handles will need renickled, shafts some rust pits filled before paint - might have to fix the wiper connection as they were getting thin last time i looked. But i can easily take and give dimensions if you'd like if your not interested in buying them.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

vonheine wrote:
June 4th, 2018, 5:39 pm
I was hoping to find a real nice one. I see that there are new manufactured manual wipers, but I am not sure how they compare to the originals in regard to dimensions. The new ones are all fancy chrome or stainless, which I could work over to make black, but if the arm lengths/offsets are not correct it will not look right regardless of black paint.
The vendor sold hand wipers are for open vehicles/cabs (shaft is shorter through the windshield) and will not work on your 82-A closed cab. So, your only choice is to restore an original. I have seen a vendor sold, 8" wiper blade which looks like it would work (for either for a T or A). Very unlikely you will find an original with usable rubber (but the blade holder can be restored with new rubber).

The attached pictures might help.
Attachments
A-17655-56-257kb.jpg
A-17655-56-257kb.jpg (257.77 KiB) Viewed 5251 times
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by vonheine »

Wow! Thank you! The information that you have is amazing! So, I will buy an original that matches your 82-A closed cab specifications.
Neil Wilson
Body Type: 82-A/89-A

Post by Neil Wilson »

vonheine wrote:
June 5th, 2018, 5:45 pm
Wow! Thank you! The information that you have is amazing! So, I will buy an original that matches your 82-A closed cab specifications.
Note that there have been three lever designs found at this point (two are shown in the above photo). RGJS says the lever knob was nickel plated or polished cast aluminum. I have only seen brass, nickel plated knobs.
Regards, Neil Wilson

Post by Stakebed »

Neil Wilson wrote:
June 6th, 2018, 7:51 am
vonheine wrote:
June 5th, 2018, 5:45 pm
Note that there have been three lever designs found at this point (two are shown in the above photo). RGJS says the lever knob was nickel plated or polished cast aluminum. I have only seen brass, nickel plated knobs.
lemme snag pics of my 3 - i think one may be aluminum...